DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Hemi Mega Cab 4x4 - with 3.73's - It came with 265x70x17's (31") and I put 305x70x17(34") I used the calc. on rocky-road.com and it came up with a ratio of 4.090 - 4.10's? My truck feels real weak on the low end when taking off from lights etc. - Will a regear help the low end? What would it do to mpg?

Thanks

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
4:56's would get that big ass truck moving so much easier

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
4.56's will be better. You'll gain some mileage in the city and might lose some on the highway.
what he said

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YellowKota2k said:
4.56's will be better. You'll gain some mileage in the city and might lose some on the highway.
I thought about that (4.56) city mileage sucks 9-10 and hwy is okay 15-16 doing 65 - I don't do alot of hwy driving but when I do it usually ends up being 500 + mile trips - I really just want to find a happy medium - I want to be able to roll off from lights a little easier - without getting knee deep in the damn thing and without losing mpg on the hwy. Am I asking too much? -Probably so.

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
only thing is with us 4x4 guys we have to do the front and the rear...

unless you do the rear and later on do the front, but you lose the 4x4 until they are the same

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy Hell - I might have to learn to do a gear install real quick! I have gotten 2 quotes so far ranging from 375 an axle up to 750 an axle. I am "okay" with 375, but 750 - not so much.

I think the 4.10's are going to be the route I take - I think my mpg will suffer to much on the hwy - then again 4.56's would kick ass:rck:

Any Mega Cab owners running 4.10's or 4.56's wanna chime in?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
chongo said:
Holy Hell - I might have to learn to do a gear install real quick! I have gotten 2 quotes so far ranging from 375 an axle up to 750 an axle. I am "okay" with 375, but 750 - not so much.

I think the 4.10's are going to be the route I take - I think my mpg will suffer to much on the hwy - then again 4.56's would kick ass:rck:

Any Mega Cab owners running 4.10's or 4.56's wanna chime in?
is that $375 per axel just for the labor or parts included. I've heard prices usually range between $1000-1500 total parts and labor to do gears on a 4x4(included addding a lsd if you have open diff.)

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
power wagon guys have 4:56s from Dodge
-havent heard of any megas with a gear swap yet

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
chongo said:
You're 4 hours from Brian, slammed1. He does gears and his work is excellent. Shoot him a PM. :)

Sil

·
Registered
162 Posts
4.56's will be better. 34's are heavier, so even though the calc says 4.10's you need a little extra. 4.30's would be a good choice, but they don't make them. Unless you drive the highway more then 80% of the time AND faster then 80mph your highway isn't going to be as affected. Also, are you done at 34's? Or maybe you'll go to 36's later? Just do the gears once.

·
YUP GOT A HEMI
178 Posts
My buddy's truck has 4.10 2100 rpm in 5th 2600 in tow/haul
fuel mileage is 16 highway 13 in town

My truck 3.73 1800 in 5th 2100 in tow haul fuel mileage 10.4 in town 14 highway

both have 285/70/17 tires calculations taken at 70mph.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ya listen to the people on here. Your truck is so damn big and your tires are big enough that you will benefit much more from 4.56s than 4.10s. And mileage should be about the same or better up to at least about 70.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I don't want to take anything away from Brian he does GREAT work and I would recommend him to anyone in his area... but we are MUCH closer, and we have a shop lined up ready to do the work. We are located in Euelss right next to the DFW Airport, our contracted shop is located north of Fort Worth just before the Texas Motor Speedway.

Our prices are 335.00 per axle... + parts... and we offer the best prices on parts.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO TAKE YOU TO OUR DISCOUNTED GEAR SECTION!

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I just did the math on our site for a

4x4 with 4.56's to include the labor.
The total for a 4x4 is $1,030.00 PARTS LABOR OUT THE DOOR! Just show up with your truck and leave with the gear of your choice!

2x4 with 4.56's to include the labor.
The total for a 2x4 is $515.00 PARTS LABOR OUT THE DOOR! Just show up with your truck and leave with the gear of your choice!

If anyone is intrested please let me know... also by all means, if your local to Brian (SLAMMED 1) look him up. I have had nothing but great experineces with him and know first hand at the quality of work he does.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
SupermaXX Hemi
840 Posts
This is the way to go I did it and Jason did a great job. It is well worth it it make a huge differenc.

·
YUP GOT A HEMI
178 Posts
doesn't he have the 3/4 ton rears in a mega cab?

AIR_RAM said:
I just did the math on our site for a

4x4 with 4.56's to include the labor.
The total for a 4x4 is $1,030.00 PARTS LABOR OUT THE DOOR! Just show up with your truck and leave with the gear of your choice!

2x4 with 4.56's to include the labor.
The total for a 2x4 is $515.00 PARTS LABOR OUT THE DOOR! Just show up with your truck and leave with the gear of your choice!

If anyone is interested please let me know... also by all means, if your local to Brian (SLAMMED 1) look him up. I have had nothing but great experineces with him and know first hand at the quality of work he does.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
that's cheap I'll drive my hd down there. LOL

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Unless you have to cruise at 85MPH, go with the 4:56's. It isn't so much the speed, as it is what RPM range you run in.
I set my cruise by the tach rather than the speedo anymore. If I keep it below the 2400RPM sweet spot, I can average near 20MPG.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.