DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies at work mentioned how much he likes my truck (well, the engine anyway. He's currently got a Chubby 2500 QC with the 6.0 gasser in it. He does understand the benefits of a 1500 over a 2500 truck. I've been lurking and reading about the problems with the 6.7 and the DPF on the cummins.

I told him that I got one of the last great 5.9s, and that the 6.7 has had some software driven teething problems. Should I recommend this truck to him?

He lives about 1 hour from work each way. So, I figure the highway regen mode on the 6.7 should take care of itself. Plus he's sick of the (lack of)gas mileage in the chubby.

What's ya'lls opinion?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Honestly I think it would be fine but the Duramax seems to have had no probs.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The 08's are much more problem free than the 07.5's. If he is on the highway each day he should have no problems at all. I am on the highway once every two weeks or so for 100 miles and I haven't had a problem yet.

·
OOORAH!
1,087 Posts
I would definitely recommend the Dodge 6.7, its still a Cummins, he might not care for the fuel mileage though.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good, I'm glad to here that the teething pains are over. I haven't heard about GM having any teething problems. We all know about the flame throwing ford. But, when you put an injector in the exhaust system and it hangs up, the results can be quite spectacular.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I haven't heard many problems with the 6.7L since the AU flash update in July. Prior to that were all sorts of troubles. I imagine that some driven for quite a few miles prior to the update may have damage that might not show up till later.

Mine was manufactured in early 2007 but I bought it new in Sept. so the updates were already done. 2100 miles and zero problems.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well after my dads having 9,000 miles i'm not sure if I would recomend. So far it has only failed once and that problem has went away and it runs fine now, but it left him without a truck for the day. The 6.7 has lots of power, exaust brake is nice for stopping loads. The downside is again lower mileage, higher maintaince cost, pain to work on because there is no room under the hood! I think if you plan to keep it stock and will put it on the highway lots, go for it. If you plan to add mods etc i'm going to say the 6.7 is not for you, while they are working on adding things like exaust without problems, I really don't think you can add much for mods right now problem free, and you risk warranty problem if you get a 6.7 that likes going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
he may be able to still find a left over 5.9 auto or manual

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, he'll pretty much keep it stock. Going from the 6.0 chubby gasser to the 6.7 cummins will be an improvement. I forgot about the exhaust brake. I think that will seal the deal for him.

On a random side note, I found a major truck stop 7 miles from my house that has biodiesel B20. It is 5-10 cents cheaper than regular diesel. Plus, 20% less of my money is going to terrorists.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
mocho said:
If you plan to add mods etc i'm going to say the 6.7 is not for you, while they are working on adding things like exaust without problems, I really don't think you can add much for mods right now problem free, and you risk warranty problem if you get a 6.7 that likes going back to the dealer.
The HS Delete pipe is pretty much a done deal now. Many guys are running it now and a ton of guys are running programmers without it. Unleashing this beast just became a whole lot easier. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
it's been noted before that cummins engines have been less and less milieage efficient with each power increase. It was my experience too when I test drove back to back the 5.9 and a 6.7 It is pretty much established that mileage is far better with the 5.9 engines which has only 25hp and 50ft.lb less than the 6.7

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
But that 25HP along with the new 6 speed makes the 6.7 much faster and pull MUCH better than the 5.9

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
But that 25HP along with the new 6 speed makes the 6.7 much faster and pull MUCH better than the 5.9
If you want a pulling truck you want a 5 spd 12v :D They might be slow off the line, but no one can argue how good they pulled and their mileage was insane, no way the 6.7 would stay with the 12v pulling heavy in the mountains, and the 12v would get a LOT better mileage. I would like to see what a 6.7 mileage ends up being once it's broken in, but I don't think it's going to be close enough to the 5.9 to justify the power increase. I want a 12v :(

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
mocho said:
no way the 6.7 would stay with the 12v pulling heavy in the mountains, and the 12v would get a LOT better mileage.:(
LOL, I owned a few 12V's and they did NOT pull better than ANY 24V and they wouldn't even come CLOSE to the 6.7 as far as pulling. Now, fuel mileage is a different thing......................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts