DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since reading this and other forums, you guys have me interested in doing some modifications to my own truck. I have a list of things, but I think I'll start with the exhaust.

I want to get some shorty headers (just not interested in the old long style with this truck). I have my eye on the Edelbrock ceramic coated. I was wondering if anyone knows if the black painted ones are better or worse than the nickel/chrome plated. I'd prefer the black painted ones, but not if they're just going to discolor quickly.

Having a 2001 seems to be a problem with direct fit exhaust. Seems like a lot of the manufacturers stop direct fits at 2000. Am I doomed to just buying the headers, universal-cat, and muffler with the rest done by hand?

My main goal is shorty headers, highflow cat, and a good flowing, but not so loud single muffler exhaust. I'd like a rumble, but nothing like the flowmaster 40 noise. Sorry, I'm not as young as I used to be. I like a little less noise now. :D

· Be Cool!
987 Posts
I'm considering headers too. I have a 2001 5.9, with a dual rear exit from a Flowmaster Super 40.

I've heard that the painted headers lose their paint very quickly, due to heat. I'd prefer to spend a little extra and get stainless steel.

· Registered
60 Posts
The ceramic coating is expensive, but worth it. These things put out a lot of heat underhood that can shorten the life of other components. I had to end up wrapping mine with exhaust wrap, since I took the cheap way. This was after melting another spark plug wire.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
I have had to recoat mine several times, but I couldn't bring myself to spend an extra $150 for the shiny finish on something that gets covered in mud anyway.
As for the underhood heat, I have a set of MSD 8.5mm S/C wires that have not had any ill effects from the heat yet. I also use wire loome & zip ties to keep them up away from the header pipes.

V10Krackdhead : go to www.hottexhaust.com and give them a call, they should be able to set you up with a magnaflow product that will suite your needs. That's where I got mine from.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Chizzle......I've been to their website, but haven't called em. I don't mind buying the headers, cat, and muffler separately and then finding a shop to fill in with their pipes, but I don't really trust anyone around here right now to do it.

Bleed- No, it's not for a v10...I've had a v10 and have one at work right now, but this is for a 360.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.