DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Ram 1500 w/ about 185k. The shocks appear to be original.

I commute approx 80mi / day and my commuter is in the shop (Tranny rebuild number 2) and I've been driving the ram.

I average about 75mph and I have found that when I hit some bumps in the road my truck will bounce quite a bit. I think a bit excessive.

What is a surefire sign that I need new shocks?

I dont have a lift. Can anyone recommend some good shocks if indeed I should replace these?

Thanks

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
I'd say get new shocks, and maybe even coils. If you can feel a rattling through the floorboards, the shocks are definitely shot (or you have bigger problems). You could also push down on the truck with all your weight and it should give a lot, or at least an obvious amount.

If you don't do much hauling and it really is just a daily commuter, you could just get any stock replacement from autozone or advance or somewhere. Just get the one's with a better warrany just in case.

But I'd say go with bilsteins, or even rancho might make some stock replacements. Other people here know more than me though, so get a second opinion.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
jump on a corner, and if it bounces more than 3 times, then you need new shocks

·
truckman323
466 Posts
bilsteins are the best shocks for the money :imo

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
x2 on bilstein, when i do new shocks im switching to bilsteins

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
not quite...i jump on mine and it depresses about 1.5-2 inches...and i weigh in at 225...sounds like you may have some shocks locked up...did you try it on all 4 corners? also is your truck stock height?

·
Registered
122 Posts
not quite...i jump on mine and it depresses about 1.5-2 inches...and i weigh in at 225...sounds like you may have some shocks locked up...did you try it on all 4 corners? also is your truck stock height?
Truck is stock height. I will try all 4 corners again. Exactly how do you jump on the front though lol.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
just put all your weight up over the tire and bounce a few times

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,705 Posts
well did it work?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have replaced factory shocks with as little 6000 miles on them and never once did I wish I hadn't done it. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your truck is riding like a boat, and it kinda sounds like it, then it's time to replace your shocks. If money is not an issue, go with Bilsteins. Great quality and performance.

Otherwise, get some ranchos or even Monroes or whatever Autozone, Advance Auto, OReillys is selling these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.