DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems everytime I get out of my Durango I get a static shock as I grab the door to close it. Any idea why? Anyone else experience this? I live in the Chicago area. But it never seems to make difference what time of what season...strange...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a shock strip to hang under the truck. Built up static from the tires hitting the road, electrical components, etc... takes the path of less resistance, so it goes through you to the ground. Had same problem, got shock strip and went away. Yeah, it looks funny hanging down from the truck, but if you can't live with the shock, it's well worth it. Even a chain hanging down will work. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can you buy one of those?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Do you have a cloth interior? My Jeep was notorious for shocking both driver and passenger - whomever was first to touch the vehicle. You could cure it for months at a time by spraying the interior with Static Guard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep! I got cloth interior....good call..proally lug rubbing my feet on a carpet!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Consider trying Static Guard - you can buy it in a small travel size at most retailers. It is cheap besides. I don't know what aspect of most manufacturer's cloth interiors causes this phenomenon, but it is not limited to Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles.
Still, was annoying enough that I opted for leather interiors on my last two vehicles. In truth, I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to leather and the static shock was it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had this problem last winter especially, Took a fabric softener sheet and wiped down the seats with it and WHALA....No more static shock, and a nice clean smeeling interior :rck:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
cool idea, im gonna give that one a try :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can buy these at auto parts stores. They have a metal wire embedded in the rubber, and they hang down and discharge the static as it builds up. And they work pretty well. Another option is to hang a chain under the truck, like the old fuel trucks did. That's certainly the cheapest solution. You can use any chain found at local hardware/variety stores.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.