DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, 4byers, now that I'm here consistently, I need to ask you about my truck. I bought it in 01 with 40k on it and it has NEVER shifted on the fly. I've tried everything I can and it will ONLY go in when I'm completely stopped. Yes, I've read the sticker on the visor, (which always gives me a good laugh) and I've read the manual, (which gives me cramps) and I've searched the forums but no one has an answer for my model. All it will do at ANY speed is grind and I'm not gonna force it. In fact, once I tried forcing it going down a mountain pass with lots of snow. Needless to say, I had to check my shorts after that one. Somebody who works for Dodge or a mechanic please help! Thank you.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
well i know on my 98 whenever i go to shift i have to put the truck in nuetral while driving and then shift it then put it back in drive. i have never been able to shift it on the fly like the others on this forum say you can do.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, put the tranny in neutral, push in clutch, shift into 4H while moving less than 45mph. Well, it only works while moving at 0mph. So I guess the "shift on the fly" is just bogus advertising by Dodge? It might as well have manual hubs. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Ram1878 said:
Right, put the tranny in neutral, push in clutch, shift into 4H while moving less than 45mph. Well, it only works while moving at 0mph. So I guess the "shift on the fly" is just bogus advertising by Dodge? It might as well have manual hubs. Any other thoughts?
Well, with yours being a 5 speed it may be different. not really sure on that. but it should still shift into 4wd while driving and in nuetral with the clutch depressed, or atleast i would think so. i know some guys can shift on the fly without having to put in nuetral but i have always had to do mine that way. if i do not put it in nuetral she will grind all day long.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there some sort of switch, solenoid, activator switch not working? As long as it's not moving, it will shift in and out easily. Thanks for the response jmw. Any mechanics out there? Still sleeping off the turkey, huh? :D

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Ram1878 said:
Is there some sort of switch, solenoid, activator switch not working? As long as it's not moving, it will shift in and out easily. Thanks for the response jmw. Any mechanics out there? Still sleeping off the turkey, huh? :D
No problem at all. I think the mechanics took a holiday vacation and have not returned yet:D as far as any switch or anything there should be nothing like that. the transfer case is what will be shifting in and out when you pull that lever.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well guys I have a 2000 QC and have never had a problem shifting on the fly. As a matter of fact I have shifted on the fly at about 50-55 mph. Was diving on I-70 and hit some snow that had drifted and it looked a little hairy so I reached down and thru it into 4 hi. Never heard so much as a grunt or groan. This is just my 2 cents and I may be way off but it sounds like a synch gear or mesh gear may be messed up. Good luck and let us know if you ever get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got a 5 speed 2001 1500 ram and never had prbolems shifting in 4wd up to 50. I just have to pull bacl without hesitating and I'm fine. If I hesittate then yes it will grind a little but not for long. It goes best if I let off the gas a little bit thats all I gotta do.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crazys182003 said:
I got a 5 speed 2001 1500 ram and never had prbolems shifting in 4wd up to 50. I just have to pull bacl without hesitating and I'm fine. If I hesittate then yes it will grind a little but not for long. It goes best if I let off the gas a little bit thats all I gotta do.
Did you push in the clutch? Let off gas completely or just enough as if you were power shifting a truck? The tranny was still in 5th? Thanks crazys.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I did not push in the gas at all all I did was lift my foot slightly off the gas not completely. I hate to loose speed but once my light turns on then I hammer it back down. I usuakky don't change gears at all mainly whatever gear I am in whether it be 4rth around town or 5th highway thats the gear I switch in.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
I've never had an issue with shifting on the fly into 4HI, once in a while I have to let off the gas - I've never had to shift into neutral to get into 4HI. 4LO - now that's a different story :D

I've got an automatic - didn't think it would be an issue with a stick though. Have you thought of dropping the transfer case and taking a look inside? Or perhaps the linkage needs adjusting...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazys182003 said:
I did not push in the gas at all all I did was lift my foot slightly off the gas not completely. I hate to loose speed but once my light turns on then I hammer it back down. I usuakky don't change gears at all mainly whatever gear I am in whether it be 4rth around town or 5th highway thats the gear I switch in.
Wow. Sounds like you have a push button. If I just pull the lever a little, it will grind, with or without the clutch. You can shift while in gear and clutch engaged. Wow.

I may have to have it checked out. Everybody here seems to be stumped. But thanks anyway. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
495 Posts
My ancient 259K '96 will shift into 4HI on the fly---never tried much past 15mph though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '99 1500 auto and have never had a problem shifting on the fly into 4H. Use it many times here in the winter, up to 55mph.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
mugsaway said:
I have a '99 1500 auto and have never had a problem shifting on the fly into 4H. Use it many times here in the winter, up to 55mph.
ditto.

Don't be gentle; just bang it into 4Hi.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you can shift between 2 and 4-hi at any speed - if it is grinding, that means that you're front diff vacuum disconnect is not working correctly, and is or has been stuck engaged..

tell me this - when you are driving, if you pull into 4-hi, or attempt to, do you hear grinding immediately? if so, either the vacuum solenoid (in the diff) or the switch (on the t-case) is faulty....

simple test - shut truck off, leave in park, make sure its in 2..go underneath and try ot spin the front drive shaft - if its engaged, there is your problem.

my 97 shifts in and out of 4-hi at any speed, 65+ mph without so much a click, chirp, shudder, bang, or thud :) 4-lo i usually need to monkey with, and it usually lets out a GGGGGGGGGrind

or like it was said previously - if you are taking too long to actually engage the transfer case because you are pulling the lever too slowly, the front diff might actually engage before you get the t-case engaged..our trucks do have vacuum operated front diff disconnects, compared to the older style where you had to get out of the truck and actually engage each hub manually - then when you were in 2wd, you were still wasting fuel economy spinning all the extra drivetrain gear up front.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mike_ct said:
you can shift between 2 and 4-hi at any speed - if it is grinding, that means that you're front diff vacuum disconnect is not working correctly, and is or has been stuck engaged..

tell me this - when you are driving, if you pull into 4-hi, or attempt to, do you hear grinding immediately? if so, either the vacuum solenoid (in the diff) or the switch (on the t-case) is faulty....

simple test - shut truck off, leave in park, make sure its in 2..go underneath and try ot spin the front drive shaft - if its engaged, there is your problem.

my 97 shifts in and out of 4-hi at any speed, 65+ mph without so much a click, chirp, shudder, bang, or thud :) 4-lo i usually need to monkey with, and it usually lets out a GGGGGGGGGrind

or like it was said previously - if you are taking too long to actually engage the transfer case because you are pulling the lever too slowly, the front diff might actually engage before you get the t-case engaged..our trucks do have vacuum operated front diff disconnects, compared to the older style where you had to get out of the truck and actually engage each hub manually - then when you were in 2wd, you were still wasting fuel economy spinning all the extra drivetrain gear up front.
Yes, the front shaft spins freely and when I attempt to engage the 4hi it grinds immediately. I've tried both easy and forcefully and there's no difference. The shifter feels tight and new, not loose. Like I said, it works perfectly while not moving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.