DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my oil changed at one of those damn Jiffly lubes. I was in a pinch and had to go to the idiots. They put shell 15-40 in and it eneded up having a leaky filter and I tightened it and cleanded it off so I thought, I still smell the awful smell of what smells like 90wt gear oil. What could it be? I used simple green liberally and hosed it off. I see no oil.

·
Registered
576 Posts
hahaha, Its always gunna smell after an oil change. Give it about a week or two, it'll go away. Smellella/Rotosmella
I really don't think it smells that bad, better then a blast of black smoke in the face, :cool:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didn't smell like this when new. What oil does not smell up the truck?

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue, Chevron Delo, and Mobil Delvac doesn't have the stink like Rotella.

MikeyB

·
Ram Tough
154 Posts
Rotella = "Ro-smella" ....I will never use it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I use Rotella and I have never noted any new or strange smell after changing oil. NOTE- I don't spill any either. ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't get it I have like 300 miles since the oil change and when I stop at a light it smells awful. I have been all over the undercarriage and there is no oil anywhere. I can't figure this out, what the hell would make my truck smell like oil is burning off the engine? There is no smoke or oil anywhere.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's the vapors from the blow by.

That's why I don't use Rotella. It's the only one that has that smell.

That and I work for Chevron so only Delo goes in my truck. :D :D

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Yep, I switched from Rotella to Delo. I got tired of the refinery smell that the Rotella gives off after an oil change.

MikeyB

·
Registered
95 Posts
MMMM..... Sweet smell of rotella HA HA..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been using Rotella since I got it. No smell here either. Maybe you need to make sure they did not overfill it. You know how those people are.

I dont like using Delo. Tried it in one of the other trucks I used to have. Ran the same number of miles and the same style of driving. The Delo used up about 1/2 quart more oil than Rotella. A couple of my buddies tried it also and had the same results.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
No overfilling here, 12 qts total.

Didn't see any oil consumption switching from Rotella to Delo using 7k mile oil changes.

Friends 7.3L diesels does cackle more using Delo compared to Rotella.

MikeyB

·
Registered
93 Posts
These were all CTD's. Also my father-in-law, a truck driver, for about 20 yrs, said to use Rotella. That is what he always used in the big rigs. He said they run a hole lot better with no issues.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I got 3 gallons of rotella sitting in my garage right now. Doing the first oil change this weekend.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ran both ... Rotella does smell ... but it is a diesle after all ... gonna make some noise, gonna pass some gas (aka black smoke) sometimes ... these definitely aren't those "refined citizens of the suburbs". These are the beer drinkin', teeth missing members of the truck population.

Anyway, oil temps after a 50 mile run from Boyd to Mineral Wells on Rotella at about 4pm, then 50 from MW back to Boyd on Delo at about 8pm. Rotella was 15* cooler a tthe hotter part of the day.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You guys had me curious. I went and took a sniff of the rotella. Not the worst smelling oil. I think the mopar flavor axle fluid smells worse.

·
Registered
576 Posts
nothin smells better then some good ole used gear oil, haha.

just add some strawberry car-sents in with the oil, it'll smell deeeeelish.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's still doing it, the problem is the smell comes in the rig. I think its ridiculous that this smell is coming into my truck. Outside maybe but inside sucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My brand new 2006 CTD is doing this exact thing.250 miles on the clock.When I stop at a light I can smell oil inside the cab. No leaks and no smoke, just bad oil smell.Its showing little high on the stick so I am going to drain off till its on the full mark. What oil do they use at the factory ? Is it the Rotella ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.