DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have this different idea...i think itd look sweet AND abviously help that little bit with wind resistance AND weight reduction...but i dont know if its legal. anyways i want to shave my mirrors but in a way i can put mirrors back on if i want to. the way i want to do this is use the plastic triangle (at the base of the mirror) as a plus. this would obviously take some modding to the piece BUT i think itd be f-ing bad!!! then when its done being modded, sand it down, prime it and paint it. itll look shaved bit it will be something that if you choose to sell the truck you can remount the mirrors back on. i personally want the bullet look! let me know what yall think...if you dont know what im talking about with the triangle base on the mirror thing, go outside and look at yours lol! if i recall correctly you have to have either a rear view mirror OR side mirrors. is this right??? i know my dads 69 vette has one side mirror and no rearview mirror...so is it one or the other or what?

· Josh
4,197 Posts
i dont know the laws. But, that triangle piece came off when I took the door panel there where screws under there. Yea, and the reason for taking off the panel, somehow thought my track info card would stick in the window holder thingy, so yea I was pulling off the panel in the staging lanes! Good luck man, if you dont know the law, just call the local police station and see what they say, Laws dont matter, its what the officer/station chooses to enforce. Kinda like do you have catalytic converters and mufflers on the car/truck or not.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it would look cool besides the fact the track-perks. i would rather call and see what the state law says RATHER than calling and asking if its legal to take my sidemirrors off you know. huntsville police are dicks when it comes to things like this (custom out-of-the-ordinary things)

· Josh
4,197 Posts
the only reason I say call local, is because they will be the ones to pull you over if it is illegal.

1,971 Posts
I tried looking it up for you but i couldn't find the place i usually find these types of laws. I do know you are supposed to have a review mirror in center of the windshield even if you can't see out the back..Happened to a friend of mine in his van.I know i have seen some junkers running around with out side mirrors so you may be able to get away with it i know there not required on motorcyles.

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
Here ya go for Texas

20.19 Mirror. Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.
1. Inspection Procedure
a. Inspect only one mirror.

1) Exterior Rearview Mirror: From the driver’s position, visually inspect exterior mirror for a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear. Look for correct location and stable mounting.

2) Interior Rearview Mirror: From the driver’s position, visually inspect interior mirror for proper mounting, location, cracks, sharp edges, and ease of adjustment.

2. Inspect for and reject if:
a. Mirror does not provide the driver with a clear view to the rear of 200 feet.
b. Vehicle is not equipped with at least one mirror.
c. Mirror offers unsafe interference with driver’s forward vision.
d. Reflective surface of mirror is cracked, broken, peeled, tarnished, or has sharp edges.
e. Mirror is not mounted securely to prevent swing or excessive vibration unless the vehicle is equipped with another mirror which meets requirements.

NOTE: An inside mirror would meet all the above requirements. If the vehicle is equipped with more than one mirror, only one, either inside or outside, needs to meet all requirements.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i can get away with one interior rear view mirror??? if so im doing it!

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think im getting excited! lol i DO have a rearview i plan on leaving! SWEET!

· Registered
118 Posts
Might want to print out that law and keep it handy, in case an officer gives you grief about it.

Arron

· Now Hemiplus
1,786 Posts
If you find a couple extra base plates (triangle pieces) you should be able to trim and fiberglass your way to a couple patch plates. I don't know what it will look like, but it's worth trying. I have the smaller SS mirrors. They were one of the first things I ordered so I could get rid of the Mickey Mouse ears.

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts

· Registered
28,764 Posts
Is Colin going to shave them for you? I bet it will look really cool.

BTW...I paid rollin for the grille inserts yesterday, so the SS's are are yours as soon as I get he truck back. $40 for all 6 inserts.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i get paid on the first matt. yeah me and colin are doin it. we gotta finish my intake first lol. yeah im going to do it with the baseplates so its a plug and play application. the only thing we were worried about is the plates on there bulge a bit. i think itll be fine though.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the link outtactrlhemi! i will keep a copy with me once i get this project done! i can almost promise ill get stopped after this one lolol!

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
No problem...need pics of the mod when your done :D

· Registered
28,764 Posts
BIGBAD4.7 said:
i get paid on the first matt. yeah me and colin are doin it. we gotta finish my intake first lol. yeah im going to do it with the baseplates so its a plug and play application. the only thing we were worried about is the plates on there bulge a bit. i think itll be fine though.
We have to wait until the truck is back before we can swap them though, so just hang tight...I was just letting you know the price.

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
Its not the mirrors you need help with, its the huge flat front end of the truck.

Mirror removal isnt going to do diddly on a brick truck.

Im waiting for someone to take their bed bumpers and hood off for track runs...{smile}

$

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i know $ the mod is more for show lol! but every bit counts huh! dale3 how the hell did you find that? lolol is it like a bus mirror?! like 3 feet long or something? ;) i know matt. i will just hold onto my cash till it comes back then...whats the delivery (estimated) day? will it come with the mounting brackets? i know people kinda modify the mounting because they say it looks better and its more secure that way...let me know. i think the mirror thing (removal) will be sweet! it will eliminate that blind spot too!!

· HC-Racing,LLC
1,836 Posts
Im just playin with ya..

I think what would look cool would be the old school hot rod mirrors that mount on the pillar {both sides of the windshield} mounted about seated eye level or higher,and are round. They are chrome, and on a thin piece of steel that curves downward..

Ill see if I can find a pic somewhere..

$

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.