DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, many of you shave door handles, tail gate handles, and moldings.....I decided to shave the factory orange peel on my black truck and work is in progress. I have the complete box done and the hood is now done. I won't say I am completely sanding the orange peel out, but I am removing about 80% of it. The reflection out of the stock black paint is actually pretty nice without all those bumps :rck: :cool:

The two reflection shots below are actually taken before the final polish and Zaino application. It looks even better now :cool:

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ohh Looks nice! How are you doing that?
Batman

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
My guess is wetsanding, I dont have the balls to do it to my truck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
805Batman said:
Ohh Looks nice! How are you doing that?
Batman
I have my own, very small, detailing business and I am pretty good with a buffer. I am going after the orange peel with 2000 grit wet/dry paper followed by 2500 grit wet/dry(using both wet). Once the surface has the pretty consistant look you see in the first picture, it is ready for buffing. That is the tricky part. Since I am not sanding out 100% of the orange peel, the sanding part isn't actually that bad. I am not getting to a point where the finish is completely sanded, I can still see very small shiney black areas in the deeper areas of the orange peel to judge how far I have gone.

It isn't for your average vehicle, as it forces me to make sure I upkeep the finish constantly now. I also don't have room to fix any major scratches in the future, but I keep all my black vehicles pretty clean and free of damage.

Todd

·
Website Designer & SEO
1,411 Posts
Whats an orange peel. And exactly what are you doing to your truck?

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
JonHemi said:
Whats an orange peel. And exactly what are you doing to your truck?

It's rough looking paint the resembles the surface of an orange and is sometimes caused by overspray. WhiteDiamond is wet sanding to make a totally smooth and blemish free finish.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4xfreak said:
It's rough looking paint the resembles the surface of an orange and is sometimes caused by overspray. WhiteDiamond is wet sanding to make a totally smooth and blemish free finish.
What he said. Typically, though, factory orange peel is from the auto maker spraying to light. The paint doesn't build up enough 'mass' on the panel to actually flow together smooth. The problem is, the sweet spot is no orange peel but just a touch from a run, so the auto makers will continue to spray light. A paint run is much harder for them to deal with on a mass production vehicle.

Todd

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
hey if these trucks werent base coat/clear coat could you still do the same thing. basically if they used a polyuerathane paint could you still wetsand being that the clear is in the paint.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BIG BLK 5.7 said:
hey if these trucks werent base coat/clear coat could you still do the same thing. basically if they used a polyuerathane paint could you still wetsand being that the clear is in the paint.
Yes, you can wet sand and buff out a base color paint as long as there is enough of it. That is the problem with what I am doing on the truck. The clear is only so thick and if I break through to the color coat, well, then I have some issues that are best dealt with by repainting. I have been told that Acura actually doesn't use a clear coat on their black vehicles. I'm not sure if this is true, but you could still do the same procedure to that paint.

I am going to start on the front fenders this weekend to get the sweet lines on them reflecting deep and clear. I really love how the Dodge fenders look and the curved features will look spectacular once the orange peel issue is dealt with. The doors will be the last items, as they will require a lot of time. Getting up and around each of the side windows is going to require a lot of taping to protect trim and edges.....

Todd

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You are a pacient man! Alot more than I could be at least!

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Wow, should look great when complete. Post pics as you go! :tup:

KB

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
looks good man!! what kind of compound/polishes are u using?

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
What he said. Typically, though, factory orange peel is from the auto maker spraying to light.
Todd

I didn't know that. My job works alot with powder coating and for us it's almost always caused by overspray. Maybe thats just the difference between powder paint and wet paint.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
enhanced250 said:
looks good man!! what kind of compound/polishes are u using?
Although I like the Menzerna line the best, I am using 3M 3000 series compound/polishes for the rotary buffer work. I am using the Poorboys line of swirl removers once I switch over to finish it out with the Porter Cable Random Orbital. I do a final pass using Zaino ZPC to make sure all oils are removed(I wipe with an alcohol mix just before the ZPC actually) before I move forward on the Zaino application. I found a couple of sanding marks in the driver's side of the hood under very close inspection today, so I will probably re-compound that side of the hood this weekend while I get the front fenders done. I'll post a picture of that stage, as I believe with all the awesome body contour up in the fenders/hood the reflections should be awesome, for you guys.

Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.