DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (10) and I have been deer hunting every weekend since the northern zone of NY opened Oct. 22nd. We drive on a lot of seasonal roads, logging roads/trails and some rough clear cut areas. Anything from dry dirt to muddy roads, rocky, bumpy, rolling hill wash board type roads and trails. One thing I have noticed is my steering feels MUCH better with the transfer case in 4 wheel low while turning.

In 4 wheel high when I make Sharpe turns, almost to the stops locks, I get the typical rocking and lifting from the front end while I'm turning hard. In 4 wheel low there is hardly no rocking or lifting from the front end at all, even turned all the way to the stop lock. It's seems I have WAY more control over the truck and what I want it to do when it's in 4 wheel low.

Anyone else notice this? I would think the typical rocking or lifting from the front end would get worse in 4 wheel low. Mine turns a lot better in 4 wheel low.

NYH1! ;)

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Yes feels the same in the durango and Dakota, 4 low. As a rule of thumb in 4hi, never turn to the stops, it'll bind the cv joint to near the point of breakage.same with a solid axle design

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes feels the same in the durango and Dakota, 4 low. As a rule of thumb in 4hi, never turn to the stops, it'll bind the cv joint to near the point of breakage.same with a solid axle design
Whats the same about the solid axle? :huh: There are no CV joints on a solid axle:crazy:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Assuming your 4WD is working properly, it probably is easier in low since your are turning the engine at a higher RPM causing more power to get to the power steering pump and etc. You should still get a binding feeling though but probably not the jump-hop. Your truck is also moving slower helping to allevitae the issues you would get in 4 high.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the 4wd is working great. In 4 wheel low on tight trails I can do 3, 5, 7, 9 point turns with pretty much no binding at all in 4 wheel low, going almost stop to stop. It's like it's in 2 wheel drive, no binding, just ultra smooth great control, when it's definitely in 4 wheel low. In 4 wheel high I can feel the binding a lot more, like in every other 4x4 truck or SUV I've ever owned.

I like using 4 wheel low when I'm off roading, especially in tight areas because I have so much more control and can feel what the truck is doing better then 4 wheel high. I just take my time and the truck handles great. I use 4 wheel high when driving on roads that are snow covered and on seasonal roads that are wide and smoother.

NYH1! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.