DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "shaking" sensation coming from the rear of my 2004 Ram 2WD? This is more than a vibration. When I am running between 40-55mph, the rear of the truck is shaking somewhat. It tends to fade away as I speed up and it will also fade away as I slow down below 40mph. I can look in my rear view mirror on the driver's side and see the tire somewhat wobbling a bit on the road under these conditions but maybe it always wobbles some. I did just have a 2/5 BellTech lowering kit installed so I took it back to my install people and they drove and checked the pinion and swore 8 ways to Sunday that the pinion is dialed in perfectly. This is a pretty knowlegeable group and they lower and primarily raise many trucks/SUV's from dealers around Atlanta. I am wondering if a rim could be bent or a belt separating causing a bad tire? I also had the truck aligned and that didn't help. I just want to make certain that if the pinion is correct is there anything else in the lowing kit (shackle flip with shocks in the rear) that could cause such an act? If the tire went bad or the wheel was bent, apparently it is much more noticeable after it is lowered. What do you think? And what would do to remedy?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rotate your tires...if the problem goes to the front then you know it is either the tire or rim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pinion Angle

Hey man, there are many threads with pics of bad pinion angles. Go out side and look under your truck at your drive shaft and differential. Compare that to the pics on the thread. If your differential is pointing up and drive shaft is straight, then your pinion angle is off. I just went through the same crap with mine. S1S helped me out a lot. If this is the problem, you just went through the same thing I did and many others. The guys at the install were saying the same thing. Try this thread.http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53046

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. thanks Yesitdz and keven. You guys are great. I printed out the link that Yesitdz attached and I plan on visiting the suspension shop Monday afternoon with pictures in hand. I did get up under the truck and sure enough the drive shaft is completely straight into the flange which is exactly what the thread says it shouldn't be. I tried to explain the 5-8 degree "pointed down" thing to the suspension guys but I don't think they understood what I was trying to explain. Now that I really understand I will take heed of your advice and set it up accordingly. Thanks again for your help.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
If after you check everything and still have the problem I would get the wheel and tire that you suspect is causing the vibration rebalanced. Get it speed balanced observing it when it is spinning. Look and the tread for a up and down movement. I used to work at a tire shop and thats how we would check for a bent wheel. We would also take the tire off of the wheel and speed balance the wheel and watch it as it was spinning looking for wobble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.