Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone?

Quick question. Last night while riding to my lady's house, I came to slow down like normal (someone was turning in front of me), right when I started going, I heard and kind of felt 2/3 pretty loud noises (not sure if it was from the front or rear b/c I had my radio up and was on the cell phone, hah)... and now, the truck rides weird. I never did go get an alignment yet after my 2/4 drop, so it seems now as of last night that sometimes when I make hard right turns, I hear a 'clunk', AND more importantly and noticeably, my steering wheel shakes pretty bad from about 15mph to 35mph, but after 35 of so, it's fine.. do you think this is happening b/c I never did get an alignment after the drop? I'm not too mechanically inclined, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
Something is busted? I would not be driving that thing until you have it checked by a compentent mechanic. Park it, have it towed in, whatever, but don't drive it until you know what the problem is and have it corrected. The problem must be in the front somewhere, if the steering wheel is shaking.

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think anything is busted to be honest.. I'm not sure what the noise(s) were

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I looked in the front and couldn't find anything out of place, broken, loose, or anything.. that's why my first impression was the alignment.. maybe it's just gotten so bad that it's basically telling me that it needs it... anyone have any ideas?

I JUST noticed that not only is the steering wheel shaking, but it feels like the whole truck vibrates as well...drivetrain vibration??

it will be kind of hard to not use the truck, considering it is my only form of transportation.. and I doubt the dealer will take a good, honest look at it considering it's dropped (i'm still under factory warranty)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you check your front tires for seperation (bubble) ? A mis-alignment doesnt "usually" cause a wobble or shake. I would take it to sears and get a free front end inspection.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Any squealing around low speed turns? Are your tires hitting the fender wells? Are the wheels cambered in?

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason, I don't think this is suspension or drop related. I just had a friend look at it and he says from looking and 'inspecting' everything, that it's probably not the suspension.... would the tranny act this way if 1st gear was going out? Any TSBs out for the 2004 Quad Cab HEMIs? I'm thinking of taking it to the stealership, I'm still under factory warranty....

·
Registered
385 Posts
why not have your wheels re-aligned/balanced? That should fix the problem, usual steering wheel shake is related to mis-alignment or unbalance, get it checked out

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes but, could not having the wheels balance/aligned have anything to do with the WHOLE TRUCK SHAKING from 10/15 MPH to about 35/40MPH, then after that, it rides okay??

·
Registered
385 Posts
The whole truck??? damn. If you have been driving with the tires misaligned for a while, then it probably is wearing the tires uneven. After a while of this, yes, it could cause a stronger shake which goes away once you pick up speed. Same thing happened to me before in my last 'car'. But who knows, it may be something else...

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
If it's lowered, be prepared for the dealer to blame it on that, and void your warranty. Not saying they will, just be prepared.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Drivetrain:
Check your u-joints.....those will also pop. Some have had problems with them being completely dry after 8k. You can test by trying to turn the driveshaft in you hand, excessive play or lateral movement can mean u-joints, pinion, or trans seals......

Front wheel components:
Braking and shakes are sometimes related to warped rotors, you could have a loose wheel, did you see if the wheels rocked back and forth by trying to shake them in and out. Make sure you cant turn any lug nuts by hand and that none are loose. Wheels that chuck in and out point to faulty wheel bearings, usually accompanied by squeals or hissing when turning. Check the torque on the wheel nuts.

rear wheels:
Same thing try to shake the wheel in to out, excessive play is bad. Check the lugnuts. If you are using a flip kit, check the pinion angle. it should be inline with the transmission on level ground, excessive up or downturn means the axle rotated. Check the saddle (where the axles sits on the leafspring), make sure there are no cracks or broken welds. Chack the torque on your ubolts to be sure none of them backed off allowing the axle to rotate.

Tires:
Look for exteme (and I mean extreme if the truck is shaking) wear. Bad dimples or feahter means the tires are way out of alignment or balancing on the wheels. Run you hand over the surface, usually ner the joint (there the tread meets the sidewall) to feel for any raised areas. This would lead to tire separation and a small dimple can cause wobbles and can fail at any given moment, especially if it is hot.

Finally let us know what you find.

I will be in Slidell this weekend if you want to go there, TTU is coming in from Mobile to swap exhaust systems. I am going back stock. Since it will be at a shop, I can take a quick look, and then the shop can fix it if its broken. Just a thought. Get it taken care of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.