DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am trying to figure out how to set the fuel sync on my 1995 Ram 1500 with 5.9L. The shop I work at has a DRB III, but we are a diesel shop and don't get much into the gas stuff. I went through the menus and got to the sync screen and it showed that it was -2. I was wondering exactly how to set it with the DRB III? When I was on that screen it wouldn't let me do anything, it would just show something that looked like this:

Desired Sync = 0
Actual Sync = -2

In Range

Thanks.

Eric

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you adjust the fuel sync by turning the dist.
But yours is well within tolerance, it's not hurting performance or MPG. I doubt you would be able to get it exactly on 0, it would take some meticulous movement.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought that turning the distributor did nothing on these motors since the timing is in the PCM??

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
It doesn't adjust the spark timing but it is how you adjust the fuel sync.
Believe me or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just asking, don't get your panties in a bunch.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
No offense taken, they don't get bunched that easy. j/k :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, that's a good thing. So by loosening the distributor with the engine running and turning it slightly one way or the other I can set the fuel sync where I want to? Would there be any benefit setting higher than 0, say like 3 or 4? I am planning on doing a timing set 4* advanced here sometime in the near future, so I'm sure I'll have to do this all again. Thanks for the help.

Eric

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've always been told to set it up to +4 to +8 but lately even the people from KRC say 0 is fine. Go figure.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I have heard that it can be off by as much as + - 8 and not have any detrimental effects.
If you want to try and get it on 0 I'd say loosen the dist to where it's still got some resistance and go little at a time.
I think you'll be fine if you leave it at -2 though.
I need to get mine checked on of these days, I accidentally disturbed the dist when changing the CPS. But I don't have a DRB so it'll cost me $50 to have the local shop do it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So when I replace the timing chain set will it be worth it to advance the timing 4*? I do mostly highway driving, usually around 1800 rpm and was wanting a little better mileage. Would setting the crank gear 4* advance help me out any? Thanks again.

Eric

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I read about a member doing something similar to what you are asking. He said it didn't make any more or less power, just moved the power band up or down.
I don't think it would have any impact on the mileage, but I am not sure about that.
I would leave it straight up and go a different route for better mileage, but that's just me.
If you're getting anywhere around 15 on the highway you're doing good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get about 14 doing mostly highway, 13 if it's mostly city. The truck has 141,000 miles on it, and I've owned it since 52,000, and I've never replaced the plenum myself. I don't think it was replaced before I got it, but it doesn't use any oil, and the power is ok, but shouldn't the plenum have blown out by now? I was thinking of also doing a Hughes plenum kit, Fastman 52mm TB, and HS 1.7 rollers along with an all new higher flow exhaust. Would all of this stuff hurt my mileage, if I keep my foot out of it? I have pretty good self control, and don't go balls out all the time like I used to, and since I'm in the "real world" now, mileage is the name of the game. Thanks.

Eric

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
My plenum is still OE at 116,000, some of these trucks have more problems that others. Don't replace it unless it's blown.
The bolt-ons you mentioned should help milage, assuming you can keep your foot out of it.
I get better MPG now than when my truck was stock (12c/14h), if I had street tires and no lift I'd bet MPG would be around 15 city 18 highway.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah my cat is rattling bad, and it's blown out and way too loud. I'm going to be doing a Jegs offroad y pipe for sure, and some sort of muffler. Was thinking about the mods mentioned and maybe a set of shorty headers down the road. I could use the extra power for towing when I do it, but don't want to kill my mileage. I've already got a Mopar PCM and a K&N 14x3, so any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Eric

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The shorties & free-er flowing exhaust will help your MPG the most. i would get a high flow cat & y-pipe vs no cat, but that' just me.
If you upgrade to a 52mm throttle body that will improve power when towing, but will probably not effect mileage in a good way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking the Magnaflow Hi-Flow y-pipe and cat combo, but I really like the idea of opening the y-pipe up to 2 1/4". We don't have emissions around here, but I guess it could happen sometime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.