DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servicing Power Steering

760 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MonsoonMike 
#1 ·
I coming up on changing my power steering fluid and was wondering how to drain the entire system since it is a rack and pinion set up.

Do i just take the lines off on the rack and let it bleed out all the fluid from the resivor then start it up and purge the system of air??

#3 ·
when low if ever, fill back up:)

#6 ·
X2

#4 ·
ohh yea another question before i blank out, THERMOSTATS, the normal operating factory thermostat operates at what temp and why is it not recommended to remove it?

#5 ·
I believe the stock thermostat is 200 degrees. You got to have some sort of thermostat or else your engine will run extremely cold which would cause very bad gas mileage, carbon build up, cold oil temps, and just overall being hard on your engine. Engines operate the most efficient at normal operating temperatures. Oh yeah, you would also have no heat in the winter without a stat.

A lot of the performance guys here have installed 180 degree thermostats. Keep in mind these guys are looking at performance only and not so much gas mileage. If your not hotroding around, the only time I would suggest a 180 stat is if you tow a lot in hot temps.

Edited to add: Just in case you need to know what a thermostat does, it controls what temp the engine operates at. During warm up, the stat remains closed which causing the engine's coolant to flow within the engine and heater core only. Once the engine warms up the coolant to the operating temp (200 degrees in our case), the stat opens and lets the coolant flow through the radiator. As long as your engine is operating correctly and its not super hot out, the stat will regulate the engine's temp by opening and closing as needed. If you removed the stat, the coolant would always flow through the radiator which would never allow the engine to come up to any where near operating temp.

#7 ·
This is how I did it on my 03. Remove the rubber return line to power steering pump. Let fluid drain. Find a rubber cap to plug port on pump or make one using old hose with a bolt in it. Word of caution here. The return hose on my truck was almost exact fit. So if you cut any hose it may be to short now. With PSP plugged with cap. Fill with ATF+4. Take the return line and place in container. Have helper start engine. Turn wheel very slowly as necessary to remove fluid. Keep reservoir filled during the procedure. You may have to shut engine off as well to refill. Repeat till fluid comes out clean. To bleed system. Remove PS cap. Raise truck so tires off ground. Turn wheels from stop to stop about 30 times. Do not hold steering wheel at end of stops.
I do this procedure with all my cars that I have ever owned.
Good Luck

#8 ·
This is probably the "EASIEST" way of doing it.
Remove the line and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and let the pump empty the system. I've done it to where the pump makes noise and the system is dry. Then put a good brand of ATF+4 in.

I am about to do mine here soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.