DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my truck a few months ago from a ford dealership so I dont think that they did much of anything while they had it. My check engine light just popped on today while i was bringing 16 wood pallets to my friends house for a bon fire. The truck has 67k on it. What do you suggest I do as far as service.

Im going to autozone tomorrow to scan it and remove the CEL to see if it comes back on.

I plan on doing plugs, Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

·
Wilson
971 Posts
What is the CEL code? Do you know how to do the key trick to see?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I also changed my transfer case fluid and my power steering fluid when I got mine used as well. It has 63K at the time. Also, if it really is an 02, it would be wise to pull the cover on the rear diff when changing the fluid so you can inspect for large chunks of metal in the bottom of the diff. Retaining clips in the LSD are problematic on the 02-04 Rams specifically, and less so on the 05+ Ram.

·
Registered
826 Posts
sorry man we need that code to help you.

If you want to know general stuff to go over seeing you bought it used I would

change oil
change diff fluids
change tranny fluids and filters
check the antifreeze
inspect brakes
Change plugs
x2 I have the maint schedule for our trucks if you want PM me and I'll send it to you I would do everything it says for the mileage your at.

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from Auto-zone. The code is p1491

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
Found this online for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by atv_babe
Can anyone help me figure out what this code is and how to fix it wihtout paying big bucks? We took the truck to autozone and they scanned for the code. P1491 is what they came up with but said it was an OEM code and couldn't tell us anything else. All help is appreciated.

I had the same code and same prob i found the code was for my a/c condensor fan i found my fuse was blown. i put a new fuse in and dissconnected the battery for a min and the code went away that was my prob maybe it will help u.

Code is
p 1491 cooling fan radiator relay circuit!

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot! You are very helpful. I just replaced the fuse with a 20amp one until i can run to autozone and get a 25 amp. I should be good, you could go down but never up in amps. Ill clear the code again at autozone when I get there.

Thanks alot!

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha, I have had this truck for the past 4 months and I have had to repair it a handful of times.

1st week of having it the driver side wheel bearing went.
2nd month of having it the Passenger side wheel bearing went.
3rd month of having it brake carrier bolt broke.
4th month of having it this happens.

Hope thats all for a while.

I have a trip to VA in a few months and Im driving.

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry I forgot a picture. Everyone likes to look at pictures.

Day She came home:

Now:

·
Charlie
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She was shiner then. It needs a wash pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
nice looking truck

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope keeping extra fuses helps you. It didn't help me. The problem is that water and junk collects in that shroud and causes shorts. At least that's the way Dodge explained it to me. It's a major hassle to replace the thing. Discharge the A/C, pull everything and replace the fan and shroud.

They did mine and it quit 9 months later again. Made them do it at no charge this time and I'm good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.