DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My folks just bought a '06 Dakota. They wanted factory fog lights, but bought them after buying the truck (the truck they wanted didn't have them). Anyway. I told them I'd install them since I've already done this to both my old Dakotas (2nd gen), and my Ram (3rd gen).
I was just wondering if anyone has a link to where I can download a service manual for a new dak.? Having one around makes it much easier to do any sort of work, because it tells you where all the clips, screws, and wires are.
Anyway. I've seen a link for a '05 manual, but I can't find where to click on the page to start the download. So if anyone has a link that I can download from I'd really appreciate it.

·
DakotaBlues
383 Posts
I've read to get them to work properly the dealer has to get involved in some way with getting the lights to work,... that is if you went with OEM lights.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it said something about having them "activated". This must be something they've done, to try to deter people like me from adding them later.
The main reason I want a manual, is because it tells you how to remove all the trim pieces, torque specs for all the bolts, and things like that. Not just for the one project, but for any that I may end up doing for them down the road too. I haven't checked yet, but while I'm asking questions. Is there a good "how to" on installing fog lights for the 3rd gen dakotas, in case I can't find a service manual?
If not, I'll write one up, when I'm done.

·
graythang
262 Posts
Yep the computer has the function for the fog lamps and also for daytime running lamps if you want that option to work. There is no wiring for the for lamps as part of the harness. You will need to wire in the lamps according to the wiring in the FSM so the computer will activate them. The factory headlamp control is also different with the factory fog lamps as it pulls out for the lamps to come on with the low beams. To make it real simple install either OEM lamps or AM lamps and wire them direct to the low beam lights or to an inline switch. Depending on the wattage of your new lamps a relay may be suggested with it's own fuse on the secondary lamp feeds. The 06 factory service manual can be had for ninety some bucks via Dodge web site on CD.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The lamps we have are OEM. They have the wiring harness, and the new headlight switch. The '06 Dakota's switch actually pushes in to turn them on. The pull out style is for the '04 and older Dakotas, and all 3rd gen Rams.

Now about those daytime lights. Are there any special bulbs or equipment needed for those? I know Chevy's are usually a separate (not as bright) low beam, but I've never seen a Dodge with them. That's one thing my dad said he really wished it had.

Also. I appreciate the tip about the manual at Dodge's website, but I was looking for a free download.

·
graythang
262 Posts
The datime runing lamps are the low beams dimed via the computer using pulse with circuits. The 07 Dak will have them standard. The computer must activate the option. My wife's GMSaturn's DRLs also use the low beam lamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.