21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
then I got nothin

·
Registered
224 Posts
if you had your dash panel off and the plug to the switch is loose it will cause this. just another shot in the dark . hope this helps.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Havent had dash apart or anything like that. When the weather gets a little better gonna check connections for corrosion and apply dielectric grease. It comes and goes. It will come on totally out of the blue and stay on for a few miles then go away again.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've been having this problem lately as well. Just the other day while plowing I was turning to the left hard and just as I gave it gas the service 4wd light popped on. Its been going on and off all winter and I originally thought it was because my rear tires are starting to wear and will slip in the snow a bit while in 4wd. I figured the different speeds of the driveshafts were causing it to set the light off. I also have a weak battery but have a new one to put in so I'll give that a shot. My thoughts are that one of my abs sensors is going even though the ABS works fine.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ive researched this and from other forums have heard that the ABS sensors can cause the light to come on. Ive also read that if the system senses that front and rear tires are at different speeds it also will come on. Basicly this is a sensor, electrical, module problem rather than a drivetrain component related problem.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well the front axles werent splining fully when 4wd engaged so I replaced the front axle actuator and figured that could be causing the problem. After installed I drove the truck and after about 20 miles the light came back on but stayed on where as it usually comes on and off. Im wondering if the trouble code needs to be cleared. Ive heard it both ways regarding this process. Some say reset PCM by fuse or removing battery cable. Some say a scanner/code reader is necessary and others say it will clear itself if the problem is fixed. Not sure what is correct at this point.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gonna try the "Hard Dump" battery disconnect reset and see if the code pops back up.

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
In the tread one of the guys said to check a sensor above the tranny or tcase of some connection. I meant to check today but was running around town and forgot to.

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
check the power wagon section... there's a discussion going on there too about the 4wd serv light. Yes two different animals but still good insight on the matter.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
check the power wagon section... there's a discussion going on there too about the 4wd serv light. Yes two different animals but still good insight on the matter.
Yah I came across that in my search. Theirs appears to be more related to the locking differentials causing their problems. I miss the days of manual locking hubs and manual shift t-cases. Simple and effective! Why did they mess with a fool proof system?

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I engaged the 4WD today and now Im having issues with a binding, banging noise and shutter coming from my drivers side front wheel only in 4WD. Gonna check CV axle and unit bearing. This is turning into a huge PITA! My truck hasnt ever been off roaded hard and the system is having problems. Im not impressed at all at this point.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Been working on this the last couple days and what a shit storm it has become! The problem with front actuator was actually a mechanical problem involving burs on the shift collar that prevented the actuator from slipping the collar onto the passenger side axle and locking the two together. A little grinding and problem solved.
Problem #2 4Wd now works but 4LO wont go in. The actuator on the t-case tries and tries then throws the SERV 4WD light. This could have been the original problem that started this thread but not sure because before today Ive never tried to put the truck in 4LO since I bought it new. I used a code scanner and there are no stored codes so not sure at this point if its electrical or mechanical. Got to spend a little more time on this I guess.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Sometimes it's the little things and I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Keep us posted.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If its the t-case shift motor its a $227 part. Im goona take it apart and check to make sure whats wrong before I buy any parts.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Alrighty finally I think we got it solved. A tech a the Honda dealer my brother works at used to be a Chrysler tech and is still a Jeep fanatic so he still has his Snap on code reader. He scanned my truck and it came up with a code which relates to the mode sensor. It is a $30 sensor mounted near the front of the t case above the front drive shaft. We ordered the part and will install next weekend.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Part came in wrong part. I got the switch that mounts on the dash. Upon trying to get right part it turns out the $30 sensor isnt for the 243 t-case and the mode sensor for the 243 is built into the electric shift motor. The dealer wants $450 for this part. I returned the wrong part and ordered a remanufactured shift motor for $118 shipped. See what happens this time as this is really becoming a pain.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Remanufactured shift motor installed and everything works and serv 4wd light doesnt come on anymore. Still one weird thing happens. ocassionally when I use my keyless remote or open the drivers door I can hear the front axle actuator engage then release. It has happened a couple of times and must be a glitch in the PCM.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Glad it working but I might take the truck back and ask if there's a flash update or TSB the front axle actuator engaging. It could wear it out while you ever using it.

:imo

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.