DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling into a parking lot today and as I pulled into a parking spot a light on the dash appeared stating ''service fwd'. Im assuming it means four wheel drive but nothing appears wrong. After I started the truck when I left the light was off and didnt appear on the 15 mile trip home. Anyone else experience this as far as I know the only thing it could be related to is the electronic shift controller. I will see if it comes back on during this weeks commute.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well its been over a month and it only came on once yesterday. I googled it and came up with very little info. Apparently it isnt very common except a TSB #03-001-07 which is not really related to my symptoms. Other info suggested it was simply a low on fluid situation in the T case or front dif. Will check fluid and go from there.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
does it say FWD? or this..

I had mine come on when I was crawling up some tall rocks up hill and it snapped out of 4wd.. thankfully it went back in cause I would never got out in 2wd..

The light stayed on until I cycled the key.. So not sure why yours came on when you were not in 4WD.. but.. you should be ok.

Test it to see if it works...

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is the light. Spelling error on my part. Mine has come on only twice and they were a month apart. If I shut off the truck and restart it it goes away. I have put it in 4 hi and lo and everything works fine.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Have you check the wiring connections?

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you check the wiring connections?
I have checked the connectors on the t case and everything was tight and dry. I suppose I should look at the front dif connectors. I will take a look tomorrow.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked all the harness connections and everything was tight and dry. Everything looks good and works so I dunno. All I can do is wait for it to get worse and then roll it in to the dealer to see what they can find.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I don't know why but I was really bugged by this question last night and I couldn't figure out why. Then just before I fell asleep, I remembered I had a "4WD" light that came on with my Jeep GC for no reason. I took the GC in to the dealer and the service writer said there was a TSB flash update for the four-wheel drive system. He then went on to say he had see the same problem on a few Jeep GC’s that already had the flash update and later, the light turned out to be a symptom of a bad battery. I know the four-wheel drive systems are nothing alike and this could be one of those long shots in the dark but you might have the battery tested when you ask about the possible TSB flash.

:dunno:

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah Ive been reading posts on other forums about this and every one has different causes from low transfer case fluid to replacing parts and re flashing the modules. One was even a replacement of an ABS wheel sensor so it appears there is alot related to this and eventually mine will have to go to the dealer. I remember the good old days when my trucks had locking hubs and a floor shifter for the 4 wheel drive. Oh well they call this progress I guess.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the responses and input everybody.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
When you find the problem, if you find the problem, would you please update the post and let us know what you found.

:)

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely. I have a feeling its gonna end up being a weird sensor or something.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happened again today but different. I was cruising down the interstate and traffic came to a stop because of construction. As I came to a stop the light came on and as I took off it went off again. Strange! I did alot of driving all day and it never came on again.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Wasn't there a guy recently who had the serv 4wd light come on after installing hids?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had mine come on before on extremely snowy days. I searched for info at the time and came up with moisture in the electrical plug as the most likely reason. If I remember right, I took off the electrical plug and put dielectric grease in it. I also changed my transfer case fluid since then. I haven't had the light come on since.

My vote for you is to change the transfer case fluid with new atf +4 and blow out the transfer case electrical plug (and add dielectric grease to it) and see what happens. At the very least check the fluid level and blow out the plug with compressed air. If that doesn't resolve it, take it somewhere that can read the codes. I wouldn't want to see you ruin your transfer case over a cheap fix.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hunting last week and used 4WD almost every day for the snow. It worked flawlessly and the light never came on. Not sure what the problem was or is but it seemed to go away for awhile.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I was hunting last week and used 4WD almost every day for the snow. It worked flawlessly and the light never came on. Not sure what the problem was or is but it seemed to go away for awhile.
One of the thing that make you go hummm ... :SPIN:

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It came on again today. This time when I started the truck. It was a snowy day but the roads were already plowed. As usual after a few miles of driving it went off and everything worked normal. My only fear is it not working when I NEED it in a big snow storm. We had decent snow a couple of weeks ago and I used it for 2 whole days and everything was fine. Oh well it hasnt failed me yet when I needed it!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Did you ever check/replace the fluid in your t-case?

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.