DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 Durango warning light panel just started showing a "Service 4wd" message and the dash transfer switch does not show a light or allow transfer from 2wd to 4wd, low or high. I bought the vehicle new and this is the first time I've seen this message. There are approx. 61000 miles on it.

I did have the vehilce checked for service codes but there are none showing. I am not sure where to look next. Help?

Doc

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
On a ford that usually means the shift motor is bad. Try tapping on it lightly with a hammer while someone else messes with the switch to see if it will engage. If that doesnt work grab a test light and see if you have power to the right connectors on the shift motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I also think that I need to check the solenoid. I am suprised there has not been more response or input to the question though? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks again.

Doc.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Solenoid? I ass-u-me thats the shift motor? Do you regularly put your D in 4wd? As a service advisor I always recommended you doing that every month or 2. The ones I saw going bad(shift motor/solenoid) were usually on a vehicle that 4wd was not used untill it was needed...which is usually only once or twice a year here in cincinnati. That poor little motor just hangs down there and like anything electrical it will build up corrosion and fail. Same with rear window wipers. The hatch on our D's arent built the same as an explorer so I think it will be less of an issue but I digress.

Check for power at the motor and go from there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess motor. I do shift the vehicle into 4wd on a regular basis. Just good practice I've heard. I've been trying to figure out a separate fog lamp issue, screwing around with the relay, headlamp switch etc. when this thing popped up. I don't think the two are related. I'll check the power to the motor and see what I get.

I am in Liberty Twp., my office is in Fairfield. You?

Thanks for the help.

Doc

·
Registered
518 Posts
Since you've been working around the dash check the plug on the back of the switch, if that's disconnected it will show a Service 4wd light, I ran into that problem while I was changing my gauges. I don't think that will be the problem, but it's nice to check before you go and spend a bunch of money on a new part.

Other then that I believe the Solenoid will be the problem.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
schwing
Keep in mind I am feeling pretty good about now :), and most likely barking up the wrong tree, besides this is cheap and easy, but you having several electrical problems pop up at once screams ground or pcm to me. Check for any corrosion on your battery cables and your ground cables. There should be a ground strap on the back of the engine somewhere, usually a flat cable. Make sure it's clean and tight. Stop by Autozone and have the battery tested and for the heck of it while your there a charging and starter draw test. (Our neon was acting very weird electrically when we had a dead cell. Ran fine but gauges and odometer were acting up.)

Hopefully someone with a fsm can check to see if there are any common components or post wiring diagrams of both systems ( q Big Bleu) ;)

Other than that at this point you need a test light/voltmeter to see if your getting power to where you should be. No sense throwing money at it and hoping to fix her untill we know if power is getting to where it should be.

I live near Eastgate/Batavia now,started out on the west side, pretty much migrated around the 275 loop untill settling here some years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your insight. I have checked the ground connections and they look good. My battery and cables look brand new. To clarify I've first had the ignition module short out on me. I replaced this recently and that seems to be resolved. I also had high speed heater fan blower (relay?) stop working. I replaced the relay and this has been fine. The fog lights initially started blinking on and off and then finally stopped working but only when I have the headlamps on in the low beam position. They should work when the vehilce is running and headlamps are on low beam. The fogs do work when the light switch is in the running light position. This would tell me that there is power to both lamps. I've checked all the wiring (physically) and everything seems to be tight. I am guessing that the problem is with the fuse box/relay box itself because I can jump the relay and the fogs will power on while the low beam headlamps are on. My next step is to get the voltmeter going.

Thanks again for the post.

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.