DodgeTalk Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
VO, with your particular problems the most likely culprit is a bad Smart Bar (sway bar). In fact that is the place everyone should start after they change the fluid, clean the magnets and check the connections. There is a thread in here where I have posted the electronics diagram and on our trucks everything dealing with the final 4WD system runs through the Smart Bar, including the 4WD sensor. This is why if you pull the 4x4 fuse in the fuse box, it will reset the full system.

If you are having more then one electronic problem start with the smart bar. It is cheaper and easier to replace then the lockers. Also there is a known problem with the locker throwing the codes, the Smart Bar masks the code so it cannot be pulled. As I said in a previous post there are over 100 pages of documentation for troubleshooting the 4WD, Smart Bar and Lockers for our trucks, but at the end of the day it all runs through the Smart Bar.

Thanks, great info. I did check the bar and locker electrical plug connections. All are spotless with no corrosion. I was lucky enought to buy a truck that never saw dirt. All highway miles.

·
05DodgePowerWagon2115
380 Posts
Thanks, great info. I did check the bar and locker electrical plug connections. All are spotless with no corrosion. I was lucky enought to buy a truck that never saw dirt. All highway miles.
More likely the problem is actually the electronics in the Smart Bar. There is a bunch of circuits and a computer chip or two in the bar itself. If any of that shorted out you need to replace the whole bar. Luckily it is a cheap and fairly easy fix compared to the rest. I would start there before replacing the lockers. Happy to post the 100 plus pages of troubleshooting info if you feel like torturing yourself :) the Smart Bar isn't well sealed.

·
ttt
220 Posts
vo I had the same weird tcase lights on my '06 and I took it into dealer and they replaced t-case position switch and it fixed the problem.. It would show 4lo when I was in 2 and 4hi when in neutral or something like that. good luck..

·
Registered
20 Posts
vo I had the same weird tcase lights on my '06 and I took it into dealer and they replaced t-case position switch and it fixed the problem.. It would show 4lo when I was in 2 and 4hi when in neutral or something like that. good luck..
I bought the switch. The smart bar has to see the transfer case in 4wd before further operation is permitted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
took the pw to work yesterday no issues on ride to work,coming home fine until i hit a few pot holes and boom serv 4wd and my rr light starts to flash,did the scan on the speedo and got a code p 0585 cruise control,speed sensor,which i did use one the prkwy(cruise cntrl).so i went under the truck checked the connections and then took my son to baseball, driving at 35mph hit the cruise c. tab on then off and the lights went off..

·
Registered
230 Posts
geez it happened again go to work and back s..t , serv4wd and rr lights on,this time i did nothing...waited a couple hours started the truck the lights were on and then went off ..doing nothing...could changing the fluid help and cleaning the magnet....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've tried cleaning smart bar sensor and diffs sensor. Changed rear diff fluid. Runnin out of solutions...
This is an old thread, but what did you end up doing? Replacing the actuator? I have a 2011 I just bought, tested the lockers out in a ditch when I was buying it, no issues,, and of course on the drive home I got the flashing light for the rear locker.. have already cleaned connectors, change fluids etc. Coming to think it's the actuator..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts