DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
vaughnboy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 06 power wagon and it threw a 4wd light.i was told by dodge to change the rear diff actuator??? which was nearly 400 bucks. instead I changed diff fluid and cleaned the magnet that was in there. it stayed off for a little while and then came back on. anyone know how to fix this problem for good?

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
Welcome to the place where your all the answers to your questions can be found! This is the single most discussed topic on here (that and tires) IMO. search locker and prepare yourself. :ugh Cleaning the magnet is a good start. magnet gap when locker is actuated is also important. Sounds like a faulty actuator or plug or smartbar. I'm sure there will be others who will chime in. Good luck!

There is one way to fix it for good. It is still being invented

·
vaughnboy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im kinda new to the powerwagon and all this. i tried readin some theads and its hard to understand. what about the gap in it. and what all should i check on that diff. is there any electrical sensors i need to try fixin?

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
I ended up having EVERYthing... front/rear actuators, carrier bearings, plugs, smartbar swaybar disconnect, replaced before mine worked properly.:ugh
Check this thread out.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336628&highlight=magnet+gap

There are alot of dudes on here that have never had troubles and then there are dudes like me that have had nothing but trouble. Not to freak you out but....All it took was a few grand and all is good now :cool:

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
That would be a good start, but before i did that, i would CAREFULLY remove the front swaybar plug & look inside at all the little pin connectors. If they are corroded, that may be your problem. Spray them with WD40 & then blow it out with some air---but don't bend them. Then put a little tiny dab of dielectric grease in each pin hole. Good luck & keep us posted please.

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
Thanks for helpin out . Guess I'll have to end up buyin an actuator
Copied this from another post of mine a while back. If your dealer will let you buy the parts you can save a few bucks.
Just talked to my local Dodge parts dealer and after about 15 minutes of explaining to him what the part was all about, he found them. (ain't never seen one on a pick-up before)
Front actuator- axle locker 5175284AB ($329.00 dealer) $226.55 mopar-wholesale.com
Rear actuator-axle locker 5175302AB ($322.00 dealer) $221.95 mopar-wholesale.com
Really hope cleaning the magnets up does the trick

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome "44".....

It may be worth your time to search and read a few of the "serv 4wd" topics to get an idea of what is going on.In the meantime here is the short version.

Clean rear diff, replace fluid, clean magnets. Probably won't help but worth doing anyway.

Check wireing to rear diff, connector may be loose / broken?

Check wireing to "smart bar" for damage, remove cover and look inside for water /moisture.

Replace rear actuator...better read up on how this is done. May not be a DIY project.

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
Welcome "44".....

It may be worth your time to search and read a few of the "serv 4wd" topics to get an idea of what is going on.In the meantime here is the short version.

Clean rear diff, replace fluid, clean magnets. Probably won't help but worth doing anyway.

Check wireing to rear diff, connector may be loose / broken?

Check wireing to "smart bar" for damage, remove cover and look inside for water /moisture.

Replace rear actuator...better read up on how this is done. May not be a DIY project.
Is not a DIY project unless you have the special puller for the carrier parts. Even then I would leave it to the jackass at the dealership. :ugh Did I just say that? The mechanic I had working on my truck was actually pretty knowledgable. It is the service rep at the counter that is the Donkey.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hi pw44, iv had my pw now for 3 months now, i had that problem and a blinking rr go on while i was driving to work,when i pulled into the shop i shut the truck off and turned the ignition on and off 3 times this shoots out a code where your mileage on the speedo after a scan...i got no codes but the 4wdsrv and rr lights went off...when going home that day it happened again...so what i did is i left the truck running in my drive way and just pushed down on the wire connections on the rear and transfer case and the light went off ever since no 4wdserv or rr lights have come on

·
Registered
396 Posts
mine use to do that every now and then until i changed the front and rear dif fluid and cleaned the magnets (make sure to un-hook battery before you do this) ever since then i haven't seen the light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started getting the Serv 4X4 light this past summer, intermittently. As long as the light was out the system worked normal. Turned out water was getting in the connector for the front locker. I first thought it was the bypass for the lockers and smart bar.

Before spending the money, I would double check both the lockers and the smart bar wiring, clean the connectors and then clean the lockers themselves.

I've found the dealerships really aren't too familiar with the systems and diagnosing the true problem. My smart bar began acting up but the dealership said they had to replace the front locker before they could replace the Smart Bar, so they ended up doing both.

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
Hope I can be as much help as the other guys on here were for me when my s*!# hit the fan last year. will try to lead you guys downthe right path.:IDEA: There is alot of info stored in the locker/smartbar search on here. I call it R&D. The real answer to the problems lies within the electronics. My parts were faulty beyond repair and needed replaced. Is what it is.

·
vaughnboy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've tried cleaning smart bar sensor and diffs sensor. Changed rear diff fluid. Runnin out of solutions...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine has gone on and off, most recently on my drive down to FT Knox.It fixed itself with just a shut down of the truck. Most of my problems are with my front locker, I've cleaned and wrapped up the connectors and the issue is usually only bad when I am in rainy weather, forging water not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. Neither locker work, the rear locker light at the switch flashes all the time. The sway bar doesn't unlock. The sway bar disconnect switch flashes when I push it and stays flashing until I push the connect switch. I have no Serv.4wd light and I get no 4wd light or 4 Lo light on the dash when I move the T case shifter through its position. A few weeks ago I was getting the 4wd light on in 2wd and the 4 Lo light on in the T case neutral position.
I'm thinking I should start by replacing the T case position switch.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
CHRISTINE
1,443 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. Neither locker work, the rear locker light at the switch flashes all the time. The sway bar doesn't unlock. The sway bar disconnect switch flashes when I push it and stays flashing until I push the connect switch. I have no Serv.4wd light and I get no 4wd light or 4 Lo light on the dash when I move the T case shifter through its position. A few weeks ago I was getting the 4wd light on in 2wd and the 4 Lo light on in the T case neutral position.

You have made The first post step to recovery! Welcome to the DT PW section. I would start by disconecting the battery and cleaning all the connections with an electronics cleaner of some sort, smart bar plug is pretty easy to remove, locker plugs take some finness without busting the tabs off. (don't ask:ugh) After checking to see if they are corroded or not I would then lube them all with dielectric grease, put them back and see what happens. Also, It may be time to carefully clean the magnets on the actuator sensors inside the differentials. This is another culprit to the PW issues that plague us. :crazy:

·
05DodgePowerWagon2115
380 Posts

VO, with your particular problems the most likely culprit is a bad Smart Bar (sway bar). In fact that is the place everyone should start after they change the fluid, clean the magnets and check the connections. There is a thread in here where I have posted the electronics diagram and on our trucks everything dealing with the final 4WD system runs through the Smart Bar, including the 4WD sensor. This is why if you pull the 4x4 fuse in the fuse box, it will reset the full system.

If you are having more then one electronic problem start with the smart bar. It is cheaper and easier to replace then the lockers. Also there is a known problem with the locker throwing the codes, the Smart Bar masks the code so it cannot be pulled. As I said in a previous post there are over 100 pages of documentation for troubleshooting the 4WD, Smart Bar and Lockers for our trucks, but at the end of the day it all runs through the Smart Bar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did someone come up with a hard wire bypass?

I thought I read something about that recently in a post.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts