DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I searched the forums but can't find some solid info on how to actually do this. I have 1996 Caravan with a 3.0. The serpintine belt is sqealing bad and it needs to be changed. I am used to the old "loosen the alternator" type of belt change. The car has AC but that belt is not on there because the AC is shot. So that is not in the way. :)

Can someone give me some help with changing this? I see the two pullies on the pushing against the smooth side of the belt. I assume one of these are tension pullies maybe spring loaded or something. But how to I go about loosening them to get the old belt off? I assume there are no adjustments on the Alternator like the good old days. Since the alternator is facing toward the fire wall. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm an old school guy myself. The new tensioner system is easier and better in a lot of ways. You release the tensioner by putting a socket on breaker bar and turning. I have a 3.3 so mine is different in some ways from your 3.0. First get a manual so that you can get all the info that is germane to your vehicle.
The squealing is either a bearing or the belt. Replacement is the fix.
3.0's have a problem with the belt coming off when splashed with water if the belt, tensioner and idler pulley are worn. I think it is actually a bearing problem. There are several fixes.
Replace the afore mentioned parts with factory originals.
Replace parts with the Goodyear fix which has grooved pulleys and a doubly grooved belt. Part number 49204K or NAPA has their own part number which I don't seem to have. This is belt and pulleys.
Replace with Dayco part #5060968 and replace the pulleys with NAPA ones, sorry I don't have the part numbers for the pulleys.

The Goodyear is said to be the ultimate fix for the 3.0 but is more expensive than the Dayco option.
There may be more but these are all I have. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Granz,

Go with the Goodyear fix. You won't be disappointed. It is not hard to install and is in my opinion the only one to use, hands down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... It is much easier then the old school alternator adjustment. In fact it was so easy it is kind of embarrassing on how easy. Besides needing another arm on my forehead to hold the tensioner pully down while trying to get the belt on. It was very easy. Thanks again! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.