DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 1995 Dakota that originally had a 3.9. When he bought it the engine had been replaced with a 3.3 I believe from a 97 Town & Country mini-van. The 3.3 apparently fit onto the auto transmission without problem. The truck was very dependable for about the first 30k miles after he got it. He recently started having a problen with stalling and dying. It will usually start back immediately. Sometimes it has to sit a while. At times it will backfire before it dies. He uses the truck to travel about 12 miles to work. One time the truck will make the trip without stalling- running very smooth. The next time it might die a dozen times during the trip. The problem sometimes starts soon after starting but at times it runs several miles before the problem starts. We had the spark plugs and distributor cap replaced. He also replaced the crank position sensor. The mechanic doing the work checked the fuel pressure and found it to be 40lb. Since the fuel pressure is ok we are thinking the pump and filter are ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks/Jesse

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would check wiring to make sure there isn't any corrosion or opens. Common dodge problem it the throttle body getting dirty and the IAC motor cant move quick enough to idle compensate. I would remove the throttle body and remove the IAC motor and clean throughly with carb cleaner. That usually is the fix. Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have pics of this engine set up?? I'm really curious to see what looks like. As far as I know the bellhousing bolt pattern is completely different from a 2.5 and a 3.9, Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
definitly check into the Idle Air Control motor, My moms audi was acting the same, and cleaning the IAC fixed the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the rapid replys. I'll give these a try. I'll also get some photos of the engine in place since it is apparently a little unusual.

·
Registered
476 Posts
hope thats whats wrong its an fairly easy fix, keep us updated

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
:huh:

That's odd that the 3.3 bolted up the RWD transmission. The 3.3 and the 3.9 are from two different engine families. The 3.3 has a 60 deg. angle between cylinder banks and the 3.9 has a 90 deg. angle between cylinder banks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine did the same thing without the backfireing, so I doubt this will help. After replacing various sensors and even the engine computer, I finally found the wires going to tranny were hanging down by the drive shaft and had rubed throught the insulatio. Everytime it bounced over and touched the drive shaft, it died. That was tho only symptom I had, no codes either. It would start up a run fine until it touched again. Easy fix, just hard to find , exspecially when I was looking in the engine compartment the hole time.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Dodgevanman said:
:huh:

That's odd that the 3.3 bolted up the RWD transmission. The 3.3 and the 3.9 are from two different engine families. The 3.3 has a 60 deg. angle between cylinder banks and the 3.9 has a 90 deg. angle between cylinder banks.
That was going through my mind too. The 3.3 would need custom motor mounts, computer swap, some serious adapter plate/ bellhousing work at the least.. I mean I have no doubts that it could be done, just seems a bit easier to find another low mileage salvage 3.9..

Either way, I hope you get your problem figured out. Check the IAC for sure and PLEASE POST PICS OF THE MOTOR!!! I love seeing custom work like that. The 3.3 is a stroked Mitsu 3.0 if I remember correctly, and is a great motor to say the least. My mother has had the 3.3 in her last 3 Caravans!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually the 3.3 and 3.8 isn't a mitsu motor. The 3.0L and 2.5L is all mitsubishi. I'm sold on the 3.3 and 3.8, I've owned two, currently I have a 91 Imperial. I was a Chrysler Master Cert. tech for 7 years, currently GM, I must say they have been the best engines to date. Other than rockershaft mounts breaking in the earlier motors they're easily fixed. If I could figure out an easy way to adapt a 3.3 or 3.8 in my Dakota, it would be done. Maybe even a 3.5, or a 3.2 h.o. I'm still dying to see pics!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
dakota90 said:
Actually the 3.3 and 3.8 isn't a mitsu motor. The 3.0L and 2.5L is all mitsubishi. I'm sold on the 3.3 and 3.8, I've owned two, currently I have a 91 Imperial. I was a Chrysler Master Cert. tech for 7 years, currently GM, I must say they have been the best engines to date. Other than rockershaft mounts breaking in the earlier motors they're easily fixed. If I could figure out an easy way to adapt a 3.3 or 3.8 in my Dakota, it would be done. Maybe even a 3.5, or a 3.2 h.o. I'm still dying to see pics!
Thanks for the info. I'll never believe my one friend again :D :D

If the 3.5 holds up as well as I've seen the 3.3 work, THAT'S the motor I want in everything (besides the 318 I already have :cool: ). I drove a new 300 Touring with that in it a while back and I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the HEMI but its one hell of a motor. Its got nice top end power and the torque pulls right from idle like a locomotive.

And since you know GM pretty well too, the 3800 is also a bulletproof motor. We have the Series II in my wife's Intrigue. It blows my mind it's got so much to give!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.