Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some serious advice! This is on a 1999 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 l

1st problem was truck miss firing on cyl 5.
After tune up and everything else nothing fixed it.

People told me to look in intake and if there is an oily residue then its the plenum gasket causing my problems.

There is black stuff down in there. However, someone also said that if plenum gasket is blown you will fill a suction through the oil fill hole when truck is running. There is no suction.

Fast forward a few days.

I noticed that my master cylinder was low again on brake fluid. I have to refill it about every 5k miles. There are no visible leaks anywhere that I can find.

Someone told me to check the vacuum hose going to the booster to see if it was wet and if it was then the booster needs to be replaced.

Well the vacuum hose was wet.

Therefore my booster needs to be replaced.

My main question is...

The brake booster vacuum hose connects into the intake right above cylinder #5. If this vacuum is wet then it would be my guess that brake fluid is being sucked into my intake (right above cyl 5). Could my brake booster leaking and putting brake fluid into intake be causing my entire problem?

Symptoms the truck has:
Miss fire only on cyl 5 and can only feel this on idle.
Loss of brake fluid without visible leak
Hard pedal sometimes
Brakes can shake the whole truck on slow easy braking but do not on hard braking.
Black stuff in intake

Symptoms the truck DOES NOT HAVE that people told me to look for:
No excess oil on any plug
no major loss of engine oil ( might lose 1 qt over 3000+ miles at most)
no suction through oil fill hole.

Any help or advice?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would say if the booster hose is wet and you have no visble brake fluid leaks.Then the master cylinder piston seals and orings are bad ,and leaking fluid out the back of the cylinder into the booster.I would definatly look into a new master as you don't want to risk a brake failure in the future.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
my 98 had two masters leak in to booster and my current 99 has had one leak . best way to tell is to remove the two bolts holding master to booster , pulling it out slightly . run a hose down the opening all the way to bottem of booster pull it out see if it wet . if it is both should be replace asap .

checking plenum leak .....you need to look at the very back of the intake for pooling . a mirror/flashlight or removing throttle body is easiest . imo best method is engine dye with blacklight . heres a link on the how to..... solution two in link .

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/ping.htm

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
I don't think the brake booster problem will cause a missfire on #5. If you've done a complete tune-up and you still have a missfire you might have a bigger problem like a cracked head or block. What did you replace when you did your tune-up?

EDIT: I almost forgot, check your plug wire routing. That could also be your problem. Check out this TSB.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98.htm

This is from the link...
Symptoms: some vehicles may exhibit one or more of these symptoms:
various single cylinder misfire (1, 3, 7,) ad especially 5 and/or 8

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I don't think the brake booster problem will cause a missfire on #5..........

read the entire post . :thatfunny or the tittle of the thread .

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
read the entire post . :thatfunny or the tittle of the thread .
I did. He has two different problems that are not directly related.
He asked...
My main question is...

The brake booster vacuum hose connects into the intake right above cylinder #5. If this vacuum is wet then it would be my guess that brake fluid is being sucked into my intake (right above cyl 5). Could my brake booster leaking and putting brake fluid into intake be causing my entire problem?
What problem....
1st problem was truck miss firing on cyl 5.
After tune up and everything else nothing fixed it.

That's the question I was answering.

So what's with your comment

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
then wrap it in quote . when your first line in ...... sounds like your knock the other users . no harm no foul .

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
No problem, I don't get into knocking other users. That's not cool. We're all here to help each other.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No problem, I don't get into knocking other users. That's not cool. We're all here to help each other.

:cheers:
yes we are . :gr_patrio :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.