DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to pull the trigger and get one. What size fits the 08 ? Do I need to do any trimming of battery edges or truck to get it to fit properly ? Will the stock holddowns work with this battery ? I want the biggest one I can fit. Oh yeah, will the stock battery shelf be up to the task of a 75# battery ?
Thanks for any info guys.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you considered an Interstate Battery?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you considered an Interstate Battery?
Been there done that 2 X-not impressed. They are OK but seem average to me. I like things made to exceed military specs. I was leaning towards the Marine deep cycle P-1, size 31m. 205 min res cap & 1150 cca.Plus it has dual terminals for accessories. Just don't know if it will fit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TwinStick, if you get the bigger one, please let us know how it fits. I might be interested in one also.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So why the battery change? Did the stocker die or did you add lights and other stuff that draws more amps? Just curious because I have not had an issue (as of yet) with my stock batt.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
pull something heavy and or stuck with your winch and you'll know why :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
pull something heavy and or stuck with your winch and you'll know why :D
Been there. I guess my stock battery is still in pretty good shape because I have not seen a real need to prematurely change it.
So, in the future when a change is necessary this Die Hard is the ticket? Any experience with Optima? Yellow top or red?

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
I'm waiting on you guys to tell me what to buy :D

But I have heard that optima's are not what they used to be, I cant remember right now what the recommend alternative was though? It was a normal looking battery though, I thought from sears but I can't remember

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's done-mostly. I put the biggest marine battery in that they sell. It is longer and taller, but not quite as wide. The factory hold down had to go. There is no lip on the bottom of battery to work w/factory hold down. I will get something better and modify my factory battery shelf to work with a diff battery hold down. For now it is held down via a ratchet stap w/500LB rating. I put a big hunk of rubber under the metal ratchet on top of battery to keep it from chafing the battery. I also had to remove a few of the wire hold downs on the lip of tray to get the cables to reach. 1150 cca & 205 min reserve capacity. It is heavy at 75#. Guy at sears says they exceed military specs & are designed to sit & hold a full charge for 2 years. I am so impressed, I will put these in our camper as well. My lights no longer dim when the anti-lock brakes kick in at night with both sets of lights on,stereo crankin, heater on full. I likey. NO PICS................
Did it in sears parking lot. FYI.... The group 65 battery is what was in there, but the platinum group 65 only had 135 min res cap, the stock battery has 150 min res cap.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Didn't somebody on here (or someplace) say there was some reason to avoid using a marine battery though? Something about the way it charges or...?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, time will tell.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have the DieHard Platinum group #65, after a little home work, seems to be the best Battery available for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The group 65 battery is what was in there, but the platinum group 65 only had 135 min res cap, the stock battery has 150 min res cap.
From Twins info the Die Hard platinum has less reserve than the factory stock battery? Is this correct? It does have more cold cranking amps though, correct?

·
Registered
163 Posts
For those who use their trucks off road, an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery like the Die Hard Platinum, Optima, Deka, Odyssey, etc. is the way to go. They're MUCH more vibration resistant, and will therefore be less likely to fail from being bumped around. They are also non-spillable and can be mounted in any position, some even upside-down.

I've used many Optimas, both red and yellow, over the years with no problems. But because of the many reports I've heard and read about Optimas not being as good as they used to be, I'm now running a Deka Intimidator (850 CCA, 120 min. reserve cap.) in my PW. So far so good, but on really cold mornings, it does act a little weak on start-up. That's why I'm interested in an AGM-type battery with higher CCA.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1150 cca, 205 min res cap. Optimas can't even match that unless you run more than one. To each thier own. Yes, my info was correct, according to what is on the battery lable. Factory battery: 750 cca & 150 min res cap. The platinum group 65 battery said 135 min reserve capacity but 850 cca. When using the winch for extended periods, it is the reserve capacity that really comes into play. Some say not to use a marine bat in a truck. When the weather is good, I ride my motorcycle to work. My truck sits for a few weeks at a time. We also do a lot of camping & the extra peace of mind knowing I can use the heck out of the battery is worth it to me. Inverters, 12v lights & appliances. It also has two threaded terminals for easy accessory hookups. I plan on doing numerous things to this truck over time and IMO having a big ass battery is just one less thing to worry about. As money allows things like a plug in fleet style jumper cables, inverter, air compressor will happen. If this battery don't work out-trust me-I will let the people on here know.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
the only issue with a marine battery is their meant to sit right, not being charged all the time?
So is the OEM battery the next best thing you could find then?

What kind of bike do you have? :)

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Delete.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got some new info today. Was told by a gearhead that the reason not to put a marine/deep cycle in a car/truck is the they are not compatable & will shorten the life of the battery. A vehicle is designed to charge the batt as soon as it senses it needs it, the opposite of a deep cycle, which is designed to be discharged deeply and slowly recharged. Kinda like a cellphone battery.
So, in lieu of this new info, I will prob put stock battery back in. Then get one of those red snap/click plugs from Northern Tools for around $40. Mount the new battery in a battery box inside bed toolbox. Get some HD thick welding cable, run it from stock battery to the red disconnect plug in tool box and run them in parelell when winching ect.. There when I need it, not when I dont. Can also do double duty as one of my camper batteries. I've been wanting to upgrade those as well. Have to get a new battery box frame welded up. Going from 2 group 24 to 2 GP 31m.

2005 Suzuki DR650-cheapest thing I could find that was road leagl. Thats how I save money to do PW mods. Would love a Harley, but I have too many pokers in the fire now to afford one. Bought it new for $4650 & its paid off w/11,700 miles on it. I love it. Worst mpg 30-off-road. Best- 60-65 mpg. Can't even hear it running when a Harley is next to me. LOL Truck costs almost $100 a week for gas to work & back. Just trying to hold on to our lifestyle as long as possible.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts