DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you all can help me out with this. I have an 02 Quad Cab with a 5.9L gas engine and I'm wanting to know what kind of mods that I can do to not only help boost performance but to also increase my gas mileage. After searching the forums for 2 hours or more, I've noticed that most (if not all) of the talk is in regards to the 5.7L hemi's (chips, air intakes etc... It seems that there aren't alot of options out there for an increase in perf for the 5.9L - am I wrong?

I was told from a friend of mine that I should go with a 3" exhaust (flowmaster) and a bullydog. I looked at the threads covering the 3" exhaust, but all of the feedback was on the hemi's. Good feedback none the less, but I wonder how much of it would actually pertain to me specifically. As for the Bully dog, they don't make them for the 5.9L gas engines, only the cummins.

I drive the truck in the city mostly, and don't tow anything with it other than my quad in the bed during the summer months. My quad weighs in at just over 600lbs empty but loaded up, I can feel it. In the future, I hope to buy a camping trailer and tow both the quad and the trailer. Any help or feedback anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gears and superchips. How much do you want to spend?
I have 3.92's right now... I was wondering if gears would make that much of a difference?

As long as the upgrade is worth it... I don't really have an absolute limit... probably 2 - 3K... which in USD equals about 1500 bucks :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have 3.92's right now... I was wondering if gears would make that much of a difference?

As long as the upgrade is worth it... I don't really have an absolute limit... probably 2 - 3K... which in USD equals about 1500 bucks :D
You could get both of those for under 1500. How much under will depend on if your 4x4 or not. 4.56 gears will make a big difference and will def help with the towing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is 4x4... I'll have to make some calls to see how much a swap would be... What are your thoughts on the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It is 4x4... I'll have to make some calls to see how much a swap would be... What are your thoughts on the exhaust?
3" is alittle large for the 5.9. I'd stick with a 2.5". Also if your gonna do the exhaust, do it complete and you'll benefit much more from it.--headers, high flow cats/no cats, y pipe or x pipe if you choose true duals and a nice free flowing muffler.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
get something that will flow more... search for muffler cfm's
ALWAYS goto youtube or streetfire and look at exhaust videos....
the audio for exhaust will be off a bit cause its a miniature mic on a camrea or video recorder.... but u get the point.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3" is alittle large for the 5.9. I'd stick with a 2.5". Also if your gonna do the exhaust, do it complete and you'll benefit much more from it.--headers, high flow cats/no cats, y pipe or x pipe if you choose true duals and a nice free flowing muffler.
Is it actually worth it to do it all? From front to back? Seems to me, that I may be a bit disappointed after dropping in $2000+ for an exhaust system from the front all the way back. The truck has 161,000kms on it so I'm thinking that the engine is a bit weak. I'm wanting to do a compression test on it this weekend to find out what the #'s are and see if there's anything unexpected popping up. I guess basic maintenance / inquiries is the best performance upgrade one can do first and foremost...

·
Banned
93 Posts
honestly your truck has 161,000 kilo on it. I would bet you could find a junkyard 5.7 and tranny for dirt cheap. If that it isnt too much trouble to swap, cammed a 5.7 is 425hp a magnum would have to work pretty hard to touch that. plus you get a 5 speed. just a thought. or get a dif truck

p.s. use to have a 5.9 magnum, go to the dakota forums for answers to the 5.9. what I would do: flip the cast manifolds, put a masterpower t70 plus a few tips and tricks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honestly your truck has 161,000 kilo on it. I would bet you could find a junkyard 5.7 and tranny for dirt cheap. If that it isnt too much trouble to swap, cammed a 5.7 is 425hp a magnum would have to work pretty hard to touch that. plus you get a 5 speed. just a thought. or get a dif truck

p.s. use to have a 5.9 magnum, go to the dakota forums for answers to the 5.9. what I would do: flip the cast manifolds, put a masterpower t70 plus a few tips and tricks
I can't see myself swapping out an engine and a tranny at this point. I was actually looking at an 08 or an 09... you can get them dirt cheap right now. I'll definately have a look in the dakota forums. That's a good idea.. I wonder why I've never thought of it. Thanks

·
Banned
93 Posts
just being honest, your truck is so heavy. All the littel tricks you wont notice a real diffrence. Maybe a real tune you might not a canned one. I couldn't tell the difference on my dakota with the superchips went with a specific tune after my mods. go to the delphi r/t boards for real answers. you can build a magnum motor pretty cheap, but adding this lil "tricks" adds up to a lot of money for a lil hp gain. my suggestions: harland sharp roller rockers, new ported heads cause yours are pobably cracked, cam and tune.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my suggestions: harland sharp roller rockers, new ported heads cause yours are pobably cracked, cam and tune.
What do you mean by 'cracked'.. and what would give you that idea? I've not experienced any kind of over heating or excess condensation in the exhaust... Don't get me wrong, the engine appears sluggish at times but it's still got a strong pull to it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.