DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I may need to know before I put this stuff in my motor. I have it in the gas right now and will be putting it in the oil soon and want to do the vaccuum also but I dont want to mess anything up. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Personally, I never have and never will put anything in my oil. I have used SeaFoam dozens of times and only ever did it in the gas tank and through the vacuum line...just my opinion.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which vacuum line and how much did you use?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Run the Sea Foam thought the engine; not in it. Suck 2/3 of the can into the engine using the brake booster hose and then put the rest in the tank. Then drive your truck like you just stole it from a drug dealer for about 10 or 15-minutes. Finish the job by changing the oil and filter. It would be a good time or a plus if you changed the plugs but that’s only if your close to your 30K scheduled maintenance.

:imo

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set of plugs I need to put in. I've been lazy and not looking forward to changing those lol. Theres only one hose on the booster right?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I have a set of plugs I need to put in. I've been lazy and not looking forward to changing those lol. Theres only one hose on the booster right?
Use the large 1/2" hose. It pulls so much air that it makes the job easier. You don't have to try and keep the engine running with the TB while you're sucking Sea Foam into the engine.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Just don't break the plastic fitting at the booster.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, disconnect the brake booster hose(1/2"), start the truck, use 2/3 of the can, connect the brake booster hose, drive like a bat out of hell!! Correct?

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Right. I would go and buy a small piece of clear hose to insert in the brake booster hose fitting and then put into the can...makes it much easier to regulate how much SeaFoam is going in.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad ass. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Seafoam is 100% safe to use in the crankcase. It is a 100% petroleum based product.

One of it's original purposes was to remove moisture in marine crankcases. Seafoam was actually a marine product originally FWIW to anyone reading this.

I have used it in tons of vehcles over the years to remove moisture, free sticking lifters/rings, and as a flush. It works GREAT in the crankcase. Actually, IMO, it works better there than in the gas tank as an FIC.

I use it in the crankcase and through the vacuum line but seldom if ever in the gas. In my experience/opinion a good FIC like Techron +, Shell V-Power, Gumout w/ Regane, etc.... works better thhan Seafoam as an FIC. If I add it to the gas it is to remove moisture or I had a little left and no other use for it.

Follow the directions on the can for the correct amount( believe it is 1 1/2 oz p/qt of oil ). I tend to throw it in there right before every OC. I give it 50-75 miles( highway if possible )then change the oil.

Note - You do not have to change your oil after doing a vacuum line treatment either.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Let it soak a few after you put it in the 1/2" line.
It says how long, right on the can.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pour it in the line and let it sit? So I dont have to start the truck?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You have to have the engine running while sucking into the 1/2" brake line.

After you have sucked in about a third of the can, shut the truck off.... let soak for 5 min.... then start.... when all the white smoke clears, your done.

You tube HOW TO and youll have fun watching.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
1. pour 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of seafoam into a clean container.
2. start the truck
3. remove the vacuum line
4. let the idle adjust
5. slowly use the suction from the brake booster vacuum line to introduce the seafoam to your engine
6. after you have completed sucking the sea foam in, replace the vacuum line
7. shut off your motor
8. wait 5 minutes, if you use more than the recommended amount, wait a little longer to let it soak in
9. fire it up, might be a rough start, but it's ok
10. let the idle smooth out, and let most of the smoke dissapate
11. give it some light revs, and let it settle
12. take it for a spin and get on it a few times

** DON'T give it hell as soon as you start it up, give it a chance to get a smooth idle

this stuff is amazing, true story: we did this to a buddy's 1500 silvy with a 350
after we let it sit, we cranked it up and heard the motor knocking
terrified we shut it off, and had it towed to a mechanic
the mechanic fired it up, and heard the knocking, then heard a peculiar sound followed by pinging in the exhaust
a chunk of carbon a small pebble's size was dislodged!!
this stuff is THAT effective!
the knocking was literally a solid chunk of carbon!

·
That guy
826 Posts
one myth about sea foam is you put it in your dirty oil that's already in your engine.
change the oil to some cheap clean oil cheap filter then put some sea foam in the crank.
Drive around for a while then change it out to your good oil and good filter.
all done.
last time I used sea foam I used a half a can through the vacuum line and the rest in the tank when it was down at a quarter then ran it until the gas light came on then all done

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, this stuff is not snake oil. I used it in my vaccum maybe half a year after I bought my Ram Brand new and there was no smoke. The more smoke you see, dirtier the engine was.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
used it on my isuzu trooper back in the day, HOLY CRAP! the smoke was ridiculous!!!!
did it on my sister's rodeo, same thing
those zuzu motors run DIRTY!!!!
i mean the smoke was so thick, you'd get lost in it, i did it out in the sticks, if i'd done it in the city, the fire dept prolly woulda shown up!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did mine day before yesterday. As stated above use a peace of smaller hose (1/4" I guess) down in your brake booster hose. It will stumble, thats ok. Let it set a bit, hook every thing back up and go drive. Air it out! Mine ran smoother when done. It was worth the effort.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just did it. That shit was nasty. Smoked for probably 3 minutes straight. No more "tick" though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.