DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could give me a step by step process on how to use Sea Foam, please? I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and approximately 71,000 miles. I've always used Mobil1 oil and mostly Chevron 89 octane fuel.

I've seen people do it all different ways. Some pour in fuel tank, some do in the oil, some do through the vacuum line, and some do all three.

I just changed the oil yesterday, so should I be alright doing it now? Or do I need to wait until it gets closer to oil change time again?

Thanks in advance!!

:gr_patrio

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
I agree... since it seems that we have many members that attempt this process, someone needs to make a How-To on Seafoaming... It should be relatively quick and simple, but I think it would be a nice thing to have...

-David

·
Registered
204 Posts
Has anybody seen the end results of using this stuff? Does it really work? Safe? I fear pouring that stuff in the oil, anything that breaks lose may find it's way in a oil gallery/blocking a passage. :huh:

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
I did my truck 2 days ago, super easy and truck runs a little smoother.

Here's how I do it....

1) Pour half a can into your gas tank. I usually do about it about 1/4 tank so that on my next trip out, I can burn right through it.
2) Pour the other half into a glass jar (kinda important but not necessary)
3) Unplug the breather hose from the brake booster to engine.
4) With the truck running, suck up the glass of Seafoam as quickly as possible without killing it. If it stalls, no worries, you're not hurting anything. Continue until the last drop then immediately shut off the engine. You can also do this by making it stall with the seafoam to turn it off.
5) Let it sit for 5-7 minutes (if you think its dirtier than normal, do the full 7)
6) Reattach the breather hose back to the booster.
7) Start truck. This may take a few tries but don't freak out, its normal.
8) If your inards were dirty, you will see a glorious plume of white smoke come rolling out of your exhaust! If it wasn't so dirty, you may not see anything but hey, thats a good sign.
9) Take the truck out for an easy spin for a couple miles to get everything worked out from the engine

That's pretty much it and as detailed as it needs to be. Be sure to get it on video because you will be amazed at how much smoke it can create.

Again, it's completely safe, I do it about every 5k miles (so about 13 times) and done it on countless of my friends vehicles, never once having a problem.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have a question also. How much fuel are we suppose to have in the gas tank before we dump a whole can in the gas tankonly? I have can of the stuff right now that I want to use.

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
I did my truck 2 days ago, super easy and truck runs a little smoother.

Here's how I do it....

1) Pour half a can into your gas tank. I usually do about it about 1/4 tank so that on my next trip out, I can burn right through it.
2) Pour the other half into a glass jar (kinda important but not necessary)
4) With the truck running, suck up the glass of Seafoam as quickly as possible without killing it. If it stalls, no worries, you're not hurting anything. Continue until the last drop then immediately shut off the engine. You can also do this by making it stall with the seafoam to turn it off.
5) Let it sit for 5-7 minutes (if you think its dirtier than normal, do the full 7)
6) Reattach the breather hose back to the booster.
7) Start truck. This may take a few tries but don't freak out, its normal.
8) If your inards were dirty, you will see a glorious plume of white smoke come rolling out of your exhaust! If it wasn't so dirty, you may not see anything but hey, thats a good sign.
9) Take the truck out for an easy spin for a couple miles to get everything worked out from the engine

That's pretty much it and as detailed as it needs to be. Be sure to get it on video because you will be amazed at how much smoke it can create.

Again, it's completely safe, I do it about every 5k miles (so about 13 times) and done it on countless of my friends vehicles, never once having a problem.
If I remember correctly... before you even do step 1, you need to be running your vehicle to get it nice and warm before you start the process... am I correct on this?

-David

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I don't believe I've ever seen Seafoam for sale in this area. Which shops stock the stuff?

:help:

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the truck running when you take the breather hose off? Or is the engine off, then take off the hose and stick it in the container?

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
The dose into the crankcase is done just before you change the oil, I believe. That's how I did mine. Appropriate dose in the crankcase, drive it a few miles, then change the oil. Seems only needed yearly -- I did it on back-to-back oil changes. The second time wasn't so entertaining.

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
I can take the breather hose off with the truck off of running. When I last did it, I did it with the truck off so not to accidently hit the fan.

If the truck needs to be warmed up, dunno for sure. I've always done it with the truck a little warm from driving to AutoZone and back (about 2 miles total). I've done it in 120 heat and below zero, I didn't notice any difference with the intake of the seafoam with those temperature variances.

As for how much gas you need in the tank, I prefer about 1/4. It's a little more concentrated but I make sure that I'm going to drive off that 1/4 tank in the very near furture.

Yes, some say you put it in the oil. I choose not to because then you have to change your oil soon after. If you are going to get an oil change soon, give it a shot. I've heard lots of people say they've had success with it.

Don't make it too complicated people. Just put some in the tank, suck some through the breather hose, wait a few minutes and then go drive your truck.

·
14 Express
261 Posts
I would never put that crap in my Ram. No way in Hell baby.

Never believed in those quick fix remedies. Fix the problem right.

If you always used Mobil 1 and a good midgrade why would you consider it. With only 70K, but hey it's your rig. Good luck with that.

·
Come Git Some
1,155 Posts
I did this a few days ago and the truck deffinately idles smoother/quieter..

I took the cap off the brake boost line.. hooked up a lil section of hose i got from autozone and sucked in about 5 ounces after the engine was already warmed up and shut the truck off as soon as 5 ounce was gone.. i then put the rest of the can into the gas tank and let the truck sit for about 10 minutes when i started the truck i got a good bit of smoke!!

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Here ya go

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.