DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here tried any Schaeffer oil products. From what I am reading it is supposed to be good oil, but I can't find many personal reviews:help:. I am considering trying their 9000 series full synthetic oil. I am not happy with Mobile 1 in my truck so far, so then it is going to be Schaeffer (pending reviews) or Amsoil going in next.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am figuring not many are going to hear of the oil. They have been around for a long time, but in some cases that doesn't mean anything. Here is the link to their site.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I use schaffer in all of my rigs and have not had a problem with it yet. Its a great product. I originally wanted Royal Purple but they were out of the weight I needed so the guy at the counter told me they ran some tests in the store and the schaffers performed just as good as the Royal Purple only it is a little cheaper. The Dodge dealer here actually uses Schaffers synthetic for their oil changes.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much does it cost, just so I can get somewhat of a general idea. From what I am finding is that it is comparable to amsoil or royal purple. Their site doesn't list prices though, but there is a dealer close by that I will have to go talk to. I hope more will chime in, I am really curious about this brand.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
What is it about Mobil 1 that you are not happy with?

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switch to it last oil change with no problems on with the truck, now almost 3000 miles later my truck burned a little over a quart of oil and it never burned any before. I don't drive my truck hard and I know it doesn't leak oil. Also, the price went up around here by about $6 for 5 quarts. For the same cost or a little more I could get something better.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Interesting - how many miles are on your truck?

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
61000 miles. I change the oil at 3 months 3000 mile or before.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Since I got the truck used, I change my oil about every 5K with Mobil 1 and I have a bit over 3K right now (third change) and I was curious, so I went out and checked the level. It appears to have not dropped at all. It will be good feedback if different syn oil stop your burning issue.

Oh, and I do have a 4.7L, which I am sure is not an apples to apples comparison.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am hoping that the oil is my only problem. If not then I won't be happy that my truck is burning oil. It seems to be with Mobile 1 that it is hit or miss from vehicle to vehicle. I ran it in my old car (97 Bonneville) that I bought with 147000 miles, switched to mobile 1 and it never burned any oil and it was always fairly clean coming out. The car died at 180,000 miles because of intake gaskets, it was an easy fix, but it just wasn't worth it then. It may just be my truck, or maybe I have a problem surfacing.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does it compare to amsoil? I checked their site and there is actually a dealer about 5 miles from me that keeps a decent amount in stock. I would really like to be able to stay with one oil product so I can stock up.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Also, is it even possible for a engine to randomly start burning oil because of the oil? If amsoil is really the best then I will go with it.

·
Adam
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are oils that do have higher volatility that will seem to "burn" more.
Okay, then hopefully I won't have anything to worry about. What would you say is the main difference between Schaeffers and Amsoil. I do like the fact that amsoil has the extended drain intervals with the 0w30.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have answered you some at HTC but will add this here for you. If you want to get some feedback from people who have run Schaeffers drop in to this site...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Register and go to the forums once you can post( takes a bit to get registered )and you can do a search( decent search feature there )and/or ask about it there. Quite a few people that run their oil and gear oils on that site. You will get some feedback there from actual users.

Just be advised that site is full of people with HUGE ego's and you can get trashed pretty easy for asking a simple question or for saying you dislike an oil the other guy likes. It gets pretty crazy at times over there. I like the site and am a regular but it took me a while to get used to that place and to sort out who knows what they are talking about from the blow hards or folks with an agenda.

Just ignore those folks and concentrate on the people that answer your question and are helpful. You can pick up a lot of good info there but you have to learn to ignore the idiots. There are a lot of idiots there unfortunately. Many will trash an oil they have never even used so make sure you are taking advice from those who have actually USED the oil you are asking about.

·
Premium Member
22,962 Posts
I don't get how you can be like man my truck burns oil - to going extended drain intervals..

Just stick what you've been doing and you won't have any problems.
And IF Shamsoil was the best.. wouldn't all auto makers be using it??

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't get how you can be like man my truck burns oil - to going extended drain intervals..

Just stick what you've been doing and you won't have any problems.
And IF Shamsoil was the best.. wouldn't all auto makers be using it??
The truck only started buring oil on him when he made the swap to Mobil1. Something that has happened to a lot of folks with their 5W-30.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.