DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my own scanner. However, not sure which ones will accommodate diesel vehicles. I have a 2006 2500 5.9 Cummins. Looking at the Actron CP9145. I have an email into their tech department but no answer yet. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i got an 2003 5.9 diesel ,,and i'm looking to buy a scanner ,,i don't know what model to ,purchase ,,,any body know

thank's bill

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Question: Why do you need a scanner? Cycling the key off/on three times will display all error codes in the computer.

MikeyB

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's easy to read the codes, but a scanner would be great to turn off check engine light and erase codes. You know, for those times when I change the air filter and forget to re-plug in the air senor.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Oh, ok.
I have the SMARTY for that. :D

MikeyB

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not looking to spend $$$$$ just to erase codes.
Does anyone know of a inexpensive code scanner to read and erase codes? I know there are some cheep ones out there($50), but something that someone has tried and works. Remember, I'm not running a garage, just for my personal use. Thanks all.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
If I'm not mistaken cycling the key ON/OFF 7 times will clear the codes from memory. I did it on my '03 when I got a P0191 with the EZ.

MikeyB

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you cycle the key or even disconnect battery the code will still be there, you just couldn't see it, but thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Last weekend I was installing the Quadzilla Commander and the Quad XZT mod. And you know it, I messed-up and turned on the check engine light and some codes. To make a long story short, I ran out to Sears and they had a scanner on special for $99.99 reg, $129.99, CP9135, It works great, very easy to use, as it reads each code it said what each code is, so you don't have to write them down and look em up in the book. Then just hit the erase button and gone. Well worth the money. Works on any car after 96 (I think it was 96). also does something about checking for the emission test, not sure what that was about, but I'll check it out on my wife and children's cars before they go in for their yearly inspection sticker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This scanner is great. At lunch time today, a young lady that works here was saying she couldn't get her car inspection sticker because the check engine light was on, so nice guy that I am, I used the scanner to turn it off and she just came back with a sticker. Yes, well worth the money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what make is your scanner ,,
and will it work on your dodge diesel truck, 2003 dodge ram ,,2500,
this is all new to me ,,
thank's bill

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered