DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Scan Gauge this morning. Great service...only 3 days to get. Anyway, I waited a whole 1/2 hour to go out and install it. It's kind of ugly, and large, so don't know if I'll leave it there...but it sure does provide a wealth of information. Why can't the auto manufacturers build something like this into the vechicles. I immediately programmed it and took off on my normal 85 mile test course. You can set four different gauges on the screen at once. I played with all the different gauges, and have pretty much settled on, intake air temp., ignition timing, engine RPM, and the last one I switch between the remaining gauges...fuel system loop status, water temp., gallons per hour, engine load, mpg, MAP, throttle position or battery voltage. The trip function is also great and has such features as, maximum speed, average speed, maximum rpm, maximum coolant temperature to name a few. I am really looking forward to finishing the calibration of the fuel system and start serious tinkering. One thing to note is that the gas mileage feature (instant real time readout) becomes obviously inaccurate with the MDS active. This is probably because you program the engine size, and when MDS is active, engine displacement is 1/2 of what you programmed. In other words, gas mileage indicates less when MDS is on. I'll post more as I tinker and learn, and also get farther along in my un-scientific comparison of the stock air intake versus my home made double wall, triple insulated CAI. I'll be comparing things like heat soak, true intake air temps. at cruise, in town, and after sitting, gas mileage (with 87 vs. 89), and noise level. As a teaser, so far, after my test drive today the gas mileage with the stock system is about 1/2 mpg less than with my system (EVIC readings), and true intake air temp. at cruise is 5-10 degrees higher than with my system, in town temps. are 30-40 degrees above, especially when stopped at traffic lights. Here's a picture of my install.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's a pretty cool toy! I have my hands full when I just pretty much get in and drive, but I love toys. Where did you get if from?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VegasLightz,
I got mine from: http://pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/index.html. It cost $124.95, including shipping. You're right, a fun "toy". I have to learn more about the trip functions. They are extensive, with multiple trips/days/averages. The only downside so far is the erroneous mileage when MDS is active. I suspect if I programmed in a 2.8 or 2.9 liter engine, it would be accurate with MDS on, but not when on 8 cylinders. Now, with 5.7 liters programmed in the mileage with MDS on appears to be about half of what it should be. It will also work on almost all post 1996 vehicles and can be taken from vehicle to vehicle if you choose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look towards the back of the instruction booklet. The ScanGauge can display error codes, reset the error light and send hex codes to the vehicle. If we knew the Chrysler StarScan codes, we might be able to reset some of the vehicles operating parameters. Maybe top speed limiter?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info., Badpenny. Any ideas on how to get that info.? I know one of the sales people at my local dealer pretty well, and I know he's tight with the maintenance folks. Types of questions to ask? I know you were probably the first on the forums to get one. What other neat things have you discovered? How are you currently using yours? Tried any of the trip functions yet? Have you tried it on any other vechicles yet? If so, how does it work? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.