DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I recently bought a 1997, 2wd, 1500 Clubcab, 5.2, auto, with a 3.55 posi. I plan to use this truck to pull a 3000 pound pontoon boat about 30 miles each week in the summer and one or two 300 mile, or so, road trips each summer. The truck has 168000 miles on it, with the tranny being an Aamco rebuild with 100K on it. I plan to change the filter and replace all the fluid with ATF+4, and add a second trans cooler. I will also add a temp gauge to monitor trans temps and try to keep them under 210*, and I will tow with the OD off. Can any of you suggest anything else to do, or anything I should do differently, to try to preserve this old trans? Also, how can I tell what trans I have and are some better than others?

· Mike
276 Posts
You most likely have a 46re transmision. There are a few individuals out there that can rebuild these trannys and make them BULLIT proof. Do a search and you will see what I mean. 410 gears would be a nice addition as well.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
Yup,it's a 46RE and I would put a Transgo TF OD JR shift kit in it. :D

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transgo TF OD JR shift kit...I read a bunch of stuff on this kit and it looks like it would help the trans to last a little longer. Are any of you guys running it and can you tell me a little about it, and how it's worked for you? Oh, and thanks for the replies guys.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
I put one in EVERY 42RH/E -48RE that I rebuild. It allows you to have converter fill and fluid flow in park (you can check your fluid in park from then on) it raises your hydraulic pressures a little.(more squeeze on the clutches and bands)
It improves torque converter lock up apply(makes converter clutch last longer) :D

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will start to pull all this stuff together and rip into it one Saturday, soon. The truck won't get much use until time to pull the boat again. One more thing, with the unknown history on this trans, and 100K on it, would you swap out all the fluid by running it and pumping into a drain pan while adding new, or change the filter and top it off. I've even seen some folks who think you should strain the old juice and reuse it. I've never had any trouble doing a flush, but I've had GM trucks. Lots of guys seem to get problems after a flush on here.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
If the fluid in it is red still,just put a new filter on it and you will be fine.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fluid looks like new, I'll change the filter and top it off. Thanks again for all the great advice.

· Brian
351 Posts
I'll be putting a shift kit in pretty soon as well. I just have one question for tactransman, I'm wanting to install the JR kit, I like everything it provides. BUT, My question is will that one provide much firmer shifts or will I need to go up to the HD2 kit for that? I want some pretty hard shifts :) Thanks!

· 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,837 Posts
The Jr kit has 2 levels of shift firmness and the HD2 offers a 3rd level above that.
I have an HD kit in my van at the 2nd level of and shifts firm.
The 1st level is for RV (smooth shifts), the 2nd level for HD/towing, and 3rd level is really meant for street/strip.

· Brian
351 Posts
Alright, thanks. I'll probly save $45 and get the Jr kit then.

· Registered
66 Posts
Magnefine filter

I suggest that you install a Magnefine filter. The Magnefine is easier to install than an external spin-on filter - I put mine in the fluid line between the radiator and the transmission cooler. The Magnefine is cheap - less than $20.00 - and it has both a paper filter and a magnet. I know there is a magnet in the pan, but it doesn't hurt to have another in the cooling circuit. Also, a little trick I use when dropping the tranny pan is to first siphon the fluid out of the pan. If you do this there is virtually no fluid spillage when you drop the pan and you can more easily reuse the fluid. All it takes is a piece of clear plastic tubing - about 10 feet or so - that will fit down the dipstick tube. Push the plastic tubing down the dipstick tube until it hits the pan, start the siphon and siphon your fluid into a suitable container. It takes an hour or two to siphon three or four quarts out of the pan, but it's worth it just to avoid the usual dropped-pan mess.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
Pimpina5.9 said:
I'll be putting a shift kit in pretty soon as well. I just have one question for tactransman, I'm wanting to install the JR kit, I like everything it provides. BUT, My question is will that one provide much firmer shifts or will I need to go up to the HD2 kit for that? I want some pretty hard shifts :) Thanks!
You can make the JR kit shift as hard as you want,you just need to know what to do. The stock 2.5 ratio intermediate lever is the biggest limiting factor on the 1-2 shift,you need to go up to a 3.8 but the tranny has to be out of the vehicle to do so.If you get to that point let me know and I will tell you what to do. :D

· Brian
351 Posts
Thank's mibro, I'll prolly get that filter. And When I start transmissions next semester I will more than likely be dropping mine and doing a rebuild or buying a 46RE already in need of one and replace it with mine after building it :) Where would I get that 3.8 ratio intermediate lever? And thanks a bunch, When I start tearing one down I'll definitely let you know. Oh, one more question; on our trucks, when installing a trans temp gauge, is putting the sending unit in the pan accurate enough, or does it need to be reading from the hot line? Thanks! Sorry for the hijack :|

· Brian
351 Posts
Thanks so much man! I cant wait to get into my transmission.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
Dealer part # for a 3.8 lever is #2125067

· Brian
351 Posts
Ok, I'll order one next month. But about my earlier question, where is the best place on my truck to put the sending unit for the trans temp gauge? Drill into the pan or use a compression tee and go into the line? I would think that the pan would be accurate enough. Always good to get a pro's opinon though. Thanks again and sorry about all the questions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.