DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 ramcharger and I have some rust on top of my paint, what should i use to clean it off? Is there a special product or just use like wd-40? Thanks, Jeff
In the picture the rust is on the rear portion.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
25,139 Posts
Your kidding right? The Ramcharger is rotted away meaning the metal is gone. :crazy:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
I would try a high-power pressure washer. Should turn out good as new. LMAO
 

· The Cherry Express
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Can you say "MAJOR SHEET METAL WORK" !!!
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On top of the wheel well there is rust on top of the paint, I'm not talking about the metal that is gone dumbasses, christ.
 

· Sleeper in The Making
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
Naval jelly would probably be your best bet to remove the surface rust.
 

· The Cherry Express
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
The amount of "surface rust" you can see is a FRACTION of what is on the backside of the panel. By the time it shows it has completely destroyed the integrity of the metal!!!!! There is NOTHING that can be applied at that point. And I beg to differ on who is the dumdass!!!!
 

· September 2007 ROTM
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
hemi dave said:
And I beg to differ on who is the dumdass!!!!
What's a dumdass? :D
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hemi dave said:
The amount of "surface rust" you can see is a FRACTION of what is on the backside of the panel. By the time it shows it has completely destroyed the integrity of the metal!!!!! There is NOTHING that can be applied at that point. And I beg to differ on who is the dumdass!!!!
Well Dave, if you examine the pictures closely there is no rot all the way through above the wheel well, only on the rear lower quarter. This is what we would call a lazy owner before me never washed the truck in YEARS and chips have had the time to oxidize and start to surface rust. Also "surface rust" does not affect the integrity of the metal at all! Believe me I have checked the back side to see if it is internal or external, and it is infact external.

Thank you for the suggestion Jordan, I'll try it and let you know.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,139 Posts
RPMRamFury said:
Well Dave, if you examine the pictures closely there is no rot all the way through above the wheel well, only on the rear lower quarter. This is what we would call a lazy owner before me never washed the truck in YEARS and chips have had the time to oxidize and start to surface rust. Also "surface rust" does not affect the integrity of the metal at all! Believe me I have checked the back side to see if it is internal or external, and it is infact external.Thank you for the suggestion Jordan, I'll try it and let you know.
How did you inspect it, Do you have a skinny head that will fit in between the wheelhouse and the quarter panel. Why worry about rust on the paint, it needs quarter panels.
 

· The Cherry Express
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
I see ONE pic, & it looks like the rust on the top edge, near the chrome molding is ONLY a continuation of the complete rot on both lower sides?? How can there be such obvious damage yet only suface rust an inch away?
 

· September 2007 ROTM
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
hemi dave said:
I see ONE pic, & it looks like the rust on the top edge, near the chrome molding is ONLY a continuation of the complete rot on both lower sides?? How can there be such obvious damage yet only suface rust an inch away?
Agreed.
 

· The Cherry Express
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
OK, now I feel bad for my last reply, if you can get to the back side of your panels, treat them good with "por 51", that may SLOW the rot!
 

· September 2007 ROTM
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad bro, it's just really hard to tell with only one picture, that's far away and zero close up shots. Not anyone's fault really.

RPMRamFury-- Try taking some more pictures, close ups, etc., so that maybe all of us can get a better feel for what you're seeing. My .02
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good, I'll try the POR 15 on the inside and use the rubbing compond on the outside. I hope were not all pissed at eachother over this little topic. :) I am just wanting to replace the lower quarters with patch pannels and then hopefully save the upper portion of the wheel well if I can. I know rust will continue but I want to slow it at fast as possible and maybe some of you autobody guys know the trick, or maybe I should just put fender flares on it insead? I've heard they can be very spendy though.
 

· The Cherry Express
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
No not at all pissed, it is your truck & you are seeing it in person, I hope you can get it to your satisfaction & it's not too late for the por 15 to be effective??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
If you want fender flares then go ahead and put them on but don't put them on just to hide the rust. Unless you park the truck in a dry garage and keep it there, it is only a matter of time before the cancer spreads and is growing out from behind the flares. They tend to hold in moisture. If you plan on keeping the truck I would recommend replacing the rusted metal & undercoating the backside real well.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top