DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my camshaft..(i dont want to say from who just yet) and on a couple of the lobes it looks like rust has built up on it....i dont know much about camshafts and engine internals but im taking a guess and saying i should not install the cam and try and get a new one??

ill get some pics soon

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
just take it to a local machine shop and have them polish it.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Normally they're pretty greasy to keep them from rusting until they're installed...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine was bone dry when i recieved it...i have pictures uploading now ill post them in a couple minutes...let me know what you guys think

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Maybe I should re-phrase that, the ones I've had normally had some sort of coating to keep them from rusting.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sorry for the $hitty pic...from my camera phone

Attachments

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
no bueno...It should have had some kind of oil or grease on it like mentioned above. Mine was oiled and had no rust at all.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
enhanced250 said:
sorry for the $hitty pic...from my camera phone
Well I think I'd be a little annoyed and send it back and demand one without the rust. Was the box all wet looking or warped like it had been? You got it from MakeItMopar.com right, they should be willing to swap it out for you.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i thought...thanks

no i got it from a new HTC sponsor i dont want to mention his name yet i wanna give him a chance to respond to my email..but ill let you guys know asap

thanks again!!! you guys are awesome...and matt i sodl my superchips thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I bet it was Duane semo03hemiram or whatever. 3rdstrike.biz or something like that.

Mine had slight rust like that too and i just hit it real quick with some carb cleaner and green scotchbrite and no problems. That's probably easier than returning it for another one.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good guess beast hahaha...you think its something i should take up with him or should i try your method?
i wonder why he sells them rusty

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I'd be very careful using anything that may scratch your cam. See if you can get your money back if he's unwilling to replace it with one that's not rusty....why would you want to pay good money for something new with rust.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good call sawcut...i emailed him yesterday im hoping he gets back to me tomorrow...if he doesnt replace ill try and get a efund then ill have to hunt down another one

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
enhanced250 said:
good call sawcut...i emailed him yesterday im hoping he gets back to me tomorrow...if he doesnt replace ill try and get a efund then ill have to hunt down another one
Or just skip the 6.1 cam and go straight to the Comp 268 :D

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
Or just skip the 6.1 cam and go straight to the Comp 268 :D
Yeah and don't forget the bullet proof Comp springs!!! They never break!! :D

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Come on now...I only know of 2 that broke, and they were recalled and have been replaced with the new ones...which I dont know of anyone that has broken the new ones.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Well Matt there are a lot of us Hemi performance oriented guys on these sites and you are one of them that's the hardest on your truck. How many times have you raced, or sprayed nitrous, or just busted up on some poor unsuspecting Chevy? Why would want to install something that has proven, although slight, potential for failure...and you know what happens when those things break. Moe's sells the Manley springs for $220, and I could be wrong but I've never heard of those failing.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
sawcut64 said:
Well Matt there are a lot of us Hemi performance oriented guys on these sites and you are one of them that's the hardest on your truck. How many times have you raced, or sprayed nitrous, or just busted up on some poor unsuspecting Chevy? Why would want to install something that has proven, although slight, potential for failure...and you know what happens when those things break. Moe's sells the Manley springs for $220, and I could be wrong but I've never heard of those failing.
I think the Manleys are too stiff. And like I said, Comp had a bad batch go out, but they were recalled and the new ones are fine. I dont know of anyone that has broken one of their new springs. I am willing to be the test dummy on this though, so if/when mine break you can be the first to laugh in my face...haha

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I would NEVER laugh at you if you blew your motor...just giggle a little :D No I wouldn't!!! Besides if you did get the Manleys and one broke I would never hear the end of it, you just do what you feel is the best for your situation.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Also why do you feel the Manleys are too stiff? Whut you been hearin' man?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.