DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ram owners,I just bought an 08 ram 1500 quad(my 4th one I love the rams) i need your help with my decision on buying running boards.what is the favorite choice out there tube or molded plastic.I also seen theres a power hide away one.Would appericate any input, also if you guys have pics of your truck with boards can u post it also.Thank you

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
I like the Mopar tubular boards myself. The powered ones are $$$!!

here are a few photos of the truck:

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I have the same as 0212353. Love them and they look great. Look in my gallery for better shots

·
Registered
630 Posts
Love the drop down ones. I'm 6'9 so the only thing running boards do for me on a stock truck is give me a great way to get my pants dirty. Usually happens when I'm trying to get some where looking pretty...:)

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
I agree with 0212353....the mopar tubes look great. I had the chrome ones and now I have the black ones.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally I'm still torn between the stock tubes like above or the tech tubes that come down the bed to allow you to step up and grab anything from the bed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My vote is for the Amp Research PowerStep. I put a set on my 08 QC and they look and work great. Pricey but well worth it.

·
-Arana-
7,088 Posts
i Also have the mopar tubes but in black i love them

Attachments

·
-Arana-
7,088 Posts
One more

Attachments

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Like both of the ones i've had/got, just served different purposes.
N-fabs

·
Registered
630 Posts
My vote is for the Amp Research PowerStep. I put a set on my 08 QC and they look and work great. Pricey but well worth it.
Got pics? How much were they?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I got the tire-to-tire tubular step and it saved my truck from frame damage during a t-bone accident. The insurance company was so pleased that the damaged was so limited; they added a new replacement step to the repair bill. If you look at the picture, you can see where the step hooked the front of the car and keep the truck from rolling over.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The MOPAR tubular stepbars are great. I put them on my 04 and also on my new 08. I am 6' 3" and I really don't need them to get in the truck( it is real close on the 08 with the 20" wheels though )but I have them to help other people in and out such as my 84 year old Dad whom I take care of. I also find that they help some with keeping dirt/mud/snow/rocks/etc... from being thrown up the side of the truck. A true running board would work better but these do help stop a lot of it. I highly recommend them for both looks and functionality.

Just one word of advice. ALWAYS check out the material the steps are made of before buying. If you go with a tubular step bar, from ANY mfg, avoid regular steel ones. Especially if you live near the ocean( salt in the air )or in an area of the country where they use road salt in the winter. They will rust out badly and do so in short order even if you take great care of your truck. Look for stainless steel, aluminum, or one of the new ABS plastic tubeular step bars. Chromed or powder coated won't matter as long as you get one of those 3 materials because they will not rust.

Here are the MOPAR bars on the 04 & 08...

2004:

2008:

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
The only problem that I have ever had with the tubular steps has to do with water and trash. I rarely blink when crossing water clogged streets; I just keep mind my business and watch-out for other drives. I have often found myself helping the pin-heads that thinks a Honda can handle two feet of water. After each of the heavy storms of 2006, I keep seeing water dripping in-front of the rear tires of the truck and this would continue for days. Upon inspection, I found the water was dripping from the plastic end caps of the steps. I pulled the end cap off and all type of dirt and crude came pouring out. I used the water hose and wash all kinds of smelly gut turning stuff out. I decided to just leave the end cap off.

:YO:

·
Registered
79 Posts
i got the powersteps from electricstep.com. I don't have any pics yet. my truck hasn't been salt free since i put them on in december. the electricstep.com site as well as the amp research site has pics of them on the rams. they were about $1100 or so for the set. I wouldn't reccomend their light kits though. I have a friend with the light kit and it doesn't look that great. I lighted mine with a custom LED strip i made up for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.