DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· EATEN FORD SH!TIN CHEVY'S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just picked up a small cracker box 110 volt welder for small stuff around the house and my hunting property. I do not know much about welding I can half-ass weld or at least gum it up enough to hold something together. My question is can I buy a power converter that plugs to either the batteries or a cig. Lighter that will power the welder. I do not know much about converters and how big of a converter I would need hell I really do not know what I'm talking about now but it seams like it would be doable. Please acknowledge me weather It can be done and if so what size converter.

I would probaly need to get the high idle feature loaded up right?

· Registered
86 Posts
What's the amp rating on the welder you purchased? What type of welder is it? Mig, Tig, Stick, etc? I have a feeling you won't be able to do it without a fairly heavy duty inverter setup. ($)

FWIW - You can stick weld with both truck batteries if you are familiar with welding that way.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
your bullydog (triple dog) can enable the high idle. just go to the Vehicle Options menu
The bullydog high idle only works if you have an auto :( Even if you select auto and have manual, it won't work, I tried...

· Diesel User
1,344 Posts
mocho said:
The bullydog high idle only works if you have an auto :( Even if you select auto and have manual, it won't work, I tried...

Did you ground pin 22 on the ECM to enable the PTO function? That's how to make it work on the '04 and up trucks with the manual tranny.

MikeyB

· Registered
22 Posts
you wouldn't be able to plug it right in to the cig lighter bucause there is a fuse on it. i would suggest using the cables that come with most power converters, they have the aligator clips that connect right to the battery teminals. as for how big. well you need to find out how many amps your welder draws. and then you can go from there. most 110volt welders require a 20 or 25 amp circuit, which could put you at a 2000 to 3000 watt power converter.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
MikeyB said:
Did you ground pin 22 on the ECM to enable the PTO function? That's how to make it work on the '04 and up trucks with the manual tranny.

MikeyB
Doh! I totally forgot about that :eek: Have to do that and see if it works, hopefully...

· Registered
3,056 Posts
MikeyB said:

MikeyB
Do you happen to have a link to were I could find out exactly how to do it? I've been trying to search, and unable to find anything.

· Diesel User
1,344 Posts
Here ya go....swiped from the DTR.

2) Install a "dummy" clutch-switch by shorting the ECM connector-B Pin #22 to ground as follows: (Note this probably circumvents someone’s concept of safe power-train operation as depressing the clutch with this method will not disengage the high-idle "cruise" setting)

2a) Buy a new ECM connector pin (I bought the Cummins Pigtail part number #3164263 for ~$10.00+tax at a local Kenworth dealer) or use an old junk yard harness to salvage a single pin with a ~6"-7" lead.

2b) If you bought the pigtail #3164263, the lead will be too short, so pick up some 18AWG to extend the lead length. The pigtail already comes with a crimp connector and a heat shrink insulator ready for the extension-lead.

- Crimp the ~5" 18AWG extension-lead into the pigtail and hit the heat-shrink sleeve with a heat-gun (or a lighter!!) Please check your own extension-lead lengths before crimping - this ~5" is from my lousy memory !!

- Add a 1/4" ring terminal to the end of the extension lead (this'll connect to a ground post) - I bought the ones with a semi-clear blue "plastic" sleeve, the sleeve is actually a weather-proof heat shrink. Hit the heat-shrink sleeve with some heat.

3) Remove plug B on the ECM (the 50 pin connector on the drivers side of the engine closest to the rear of engine with a 4mm Allen screw in the center). Note: this is probably best done with the both batteries disconnected first (I did mine with the batteries connected - sloppy).

3a) Push (use a paper clip) the sealing plug out of position #22 (starting at to left, count across, there are 50 pins total, #22 is second in from left, third row down) Note: #22 is the PTO/Clutch switch sense terminal (page 8W 80-98 in the shop manual).

3b) Insert the pigtail-lead into the back of the #22 until you feel a positive detent (click), lightly tug the wire to ensure that it's been properly inserted and cannot be removed. Note: Make sure that you've properly identified #22 - if you've put it into the wrong position, you'll probably need to head over to the dealer to use a special pin removal tool...

3c) Reconnect the ECM connector, don't bother trying to push it on, just seat it square on the ECM connector, and carefully thread the 4mm Allen screw until it bottoms out.

3d) Slide the ring-terminal over the lower-left post of the ECM retaining stud (mine stud had an extra ~1" of available thread)

3e) Add a 1/4-28 fine-grade nut to secure the ring-terminal to the ECM retaining stud, torque to... - oh hell - just tighten it !!!

3f) Reconnect the batteries if disconnected.

MikeyB

305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
22 Posts
because of the amps and the duty cycle the smallest you could go would be a 1800 watt inverter. but that is not taking into consideration any spikes that may occur like when you strike a rod to start welding. i would say you would need a 3000 watt continuous inverter and i know those get a little pricey.

305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. I found a couple 4000 watts for 450.00. To me it would not be that bad since I will be able to weld in remote places such as my hunting property.
If I buy a inverter that big it will not be just a simple clip on the battery and plug in the welder right? The inverter will most likely need to be hard wired you think? Also I know letting your truck idle for long periods of time is not good (I think is b.s.) but that's what dodge says. Will I need to run the high idle when welding? (In referencing to keeping that batteries charged and max power to the inverter). My bully dog has the features just need to turn on. Can somebody chim and and tell me how to set it/ operate it? Thanks all!!!!!

· Registered
22 Posts
i think with something that big you would most likely have to hard wire the inverter in. i think they have 1/0 wire cables made for that purpose for 30 or 40 bucks. as for the idle thing. i guess it would be trial and error. if it looks like the inverter is using alot of juice and it can't recharge quick enough, then hop it up onto the high idle mode.

· Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000W/4000Wpeak Vector inverter. I also have a Lincoln 3200 110V mig. I have yet to try using the welder connected to my inverter. One critical consideration is cable size and fuse requirements of the inverter for any this size or larger. I discovered that the suggested power supply cable length (6ft) was not sufficient to mount the inverter anywhere that made sense. It is specific to not mount in the engine compartment (duh). I called the manufacturer to find out just where in the world they suggested mounting the inverter within 6ft of the battery but NOT in the engine compartment...?? They acted like this was the first time anyone had ever asked this question and had no ideas where I could purchase the 500amp ANL fuse for the 12V application.

You will likely need (what I used) approximately 32-36ft 3/0 cabling and the 500amp fuse. This was enough to mount the inverter in a bed mount tool box (ext cab). The cable shouldn't be hard to find. The fuse is a different story. After having called various electronic and high end car audio suppliers I finally found a place called FUSECO. in Dallas that had such an item. You will need to find some type of waterproof fuse box to enclose the fuse junction and mount it as close to the battery as possible. Various cable carriers, connectors, and grommets will also be needed to route the cabling and transition through holes (ie truck bed in my situation).

Good luck and hope this helps. I've really enjoyed the benefit of having this portable power source without having to lug around a gas powered generator.

Regards,
Kyle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.