DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm currently looking to buy a used RT+10 cam for $180 shipped to my door. This sounds like a great deal to me. The cam supposedly has less than 5k miles. I am wondering what else I will need if I install this cam? Can I re-use my lifters? Will I need to purchase different springs with this cam? And also if this would be a good fit for the current mods that I have? I am planning on an underdrive crank pulley, Fastman 52mm throttle body, and Mopar headers here shortly. Thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always thought that if you reuse a cam you have to keep the lifters matched to the lobe, and put them back in the same locations, because they establish a wear pattern, and if the lifters and the cam "wear pattern" don't match then you could wipe out a lobe...

But you're looking at a cam with less than 5k miles... I'm not sure HOW much of a wear patten could be established in that ammount of time... Personally, I wouldn't buy it, but that's just me... Better safe than sorry.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
Specs would be nice, the PCM doesn't like a lot of overlap etc. If it's the true Mopar R/T cam, save your money. It's hardly worth the time. Check out SocalDakota or KRC, they have cams that will get you more power and live happily with the PCM

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the RT+10 cam.

duration - 272/278

o-lap - 37

centerline - 119

lift - .467/.482

recom. spring - P5249464

application / comments - +10 hp over RT cam

These are the specs from Mancini Racing. Thanks.

Eric

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
I removed that sane cam this year. With the M1 beerbarrel I hated it. Installed it straight up and the thing lost all its torque off the line. Had to put up with it for 3yrs. I added 52mm tb and 1.7rr right after to get back some of what I lost and the truck ran the same ets it did with the stock motor (all bolts ons/14 flat). Just slower off the line and faster at the top of the track. Waste of 3yrs for me.

Cam on its own probably pretty good with 1.7rr but a beerbarrel instead. Forget it with the M1.

If that 180 doesnt include the lifters I would pass. Should get springs and retainers as well, reuse the locks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done some thinking, and I think I'm just going to install 1.7 RR. Along with the rockers I'm thinkin I'm gonna do headers, 52mm TB, underdrive crank pulley, and MSD Blaster Coil for sure. Anything else you can think of? I'm not looking to spend a whole shit-ton of money, just enough to have some fun with. Thanks.

Eric

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
1.7rr, electric fans & headers with ypipe will all help.

Looking at your sig I see a couple things that are hurting your performance as well.

Replacing the Bosch plat +4s would help. Only the single electrode Bosch plats are any good. The +2 and +4 will hurt performance.
Also, your catco cat is a bit on the restrictive side with 2" in/out twins.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
RM Indy said:
I removed that sane cam this year. With the M1 beerbarrel I hated it. Installed it straight up and the thing lost all its torque off the line. Had to put up with it for 3yrs. I added 52mm tb and 1.7rr right after to get back some of what I lost and the truck ran the same ets it did with the stock motor (all bolts ons/14 flat). Just slower off the line and faster at the top of the track. Waste of 3yrs for me.

Cam on its own probably pretty good with 1.7rr but a beerbarrel instead. Forget it with the M1.

If that 180 doesnt include the lifters I would pass. Should get springs and retainers as well, reuse the locks.
Listen to Indy, he speaks the truth on that cam. Go to KRC and talk to Marty, he'll get you the right cam for YOUR SETUP. Which is really the most important thing. Also, you'll probably need to put some .600 lift springs if you do anything much bigger than stock. That R/T cam is a turd.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
ewatts2003 said:
I've done some thinking, and I think I'm just going to install 1.7 RR. Along with the rockers I'm thinkin I'm gonna do headers, 52mm TB, underdrive crank pulley, and MSD Blaster Coil for sure. Anything else you can think of? I'm not looking to spend a whole shit-ton of money, just enough to have some fun with. Thanks.

Eric
Decent plan, but add an M-1 manifold to make all that other stuff reallyt come alive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I do any manifold it will probably be a modified kegger, as I do more daily driving and towing than anything. I recently replaced the +4's with Autolite 3923's and can already tell a difference at idle mainly, but also just everyday driving. When I finally get headers and put them on I am going to get rid of the cat altogether and go with 2 1/2" pipe through a Flowmaster. Should help out quite a bit shouldn't it?? Also, I've been reading about 1.7 Viper Rockers. Any advantage to these other than they are much cheaper than rollers? How much performance could I really expect out of these? Thanks.

Eric

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Modified kegger probably the best on a 4x4 if you tow. Be sure to get the Hughes plenum kit ;)

Personally I would not put in a 1.7 that is not a roller (if Im reading that right)

As far as how much gains, with 1.7rr, I suspect on my truck at the time they probably knocked .25 approx off 1/4 mile ets based on SOTP. Ive made well over 1000passes down the strip in my truck so my SOTP is semi accurate :D

The 3923 are much better choice for plugs, now if you'll just fix your sig I won't bug you again lol.

If you can delete the cat, you will see/feel a noticeable gain in performance similar to what the 1.7rr will add.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Hmm, .25 off ets may mean little to you, thats about the same gains you got from the 14x3 K&N. That is above average as far as gains go with bolt ons.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. How does this setup sound. Modified Kegger Intake with Hughes plenum kit, 52mm Fastman, Mopar Headers with 2 1/2" pipe through Flowmaster 40 series (no cat), MSD Blaster 2 Coil, and an underdrive crank pulley. Would this setup work good for more all out performance with what I currently have?? Thanks.

Eric

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
I still say get an M-1 and put an XL turtle in it. The supposed torque loss with an M-1 is a myth, I can abrley take off from a light without my R/T wanting to roast the tires. Plus, you'll never have to deal with that damn bellypan gasket again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.