Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a clue on this one?

When going down the highway, once and a while the RPM jumps up about 400 to 500 rpm for a second or two then back down. This occurs whether the cruise is on or off, on flat ground, going up hill or down hill. The weird thing is that it might do it frequently for a month or so then not show up for two or three weeks or more. The outside temp doesn't seem to matter, it's been doing this for over a year now and I live where it snows. I had the tranny flushed just before a 100k and the shop didn't find any problems at all. This started somewhere around the 90k mark. Now I have 103k on it at still the same thing.

It's just weird.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same problem, I change the PCV and it cured it! Have you changed yours at all?

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
OH THANK GOD!!!
I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone else has seen this? Every mechanic I've talked to has no idea what I'm talking about. And of course it won't happen when anyone else is with me.

How can the PCV cause this? My '00 D has only 54K on the OD, and it should not need replacing yet...supposedly. Anyone have any more info on this issue???

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I dunno, guys...this has also got a TPS ring to it. Of course, the PCV is about a $7/5 minute gig, even if it doesn't work!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
100% it's the TPS. Myself and many others have had this occur. Shop around for the TPS. They used to be around $30 but lately at some places the prices have jumped to 70-80.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will have to get one. Unrelated to that, I have a problem with my climate system. I can never seem to get cold air through the vents even on 40 degree mornings. I have been told that there are little flappers that can hang up and not close off completely. I am starting to think that they are right. Last winter I noticed that I don't get very hot air either. What do you think?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The door is your problem like you said but it is not worth tearing into unless you have a problem with your a/c evaporator or your heater core and have to replace one of those parts because you have to take your whole dash apart to get to it all in all it will take you around 10 hours start to finish...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't even know I have read on another forum that it is the problem though. It just needs to be adjusted though I believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
99_5.9 said:
Anyone got a clue on this one?

When going down the highway, once and a while the RPM jumps up about 400 to 500 rpm for a second or two then back down. This occurs whether the cruise is on or off, on flat ground, going up hill or down hill. The weird thing is that it might do it frequently for a month or so then not show up for two or three weeks or more. The outside temp doesn't seem to matter, it's been doing this for over a year now and I live where it snows. I had the tranny flushed just before a 100k and the shop didn't find any problems at all. This started somewhere around the 90k mark. Now I have 103k on it at still the same thing.

It's just weird.

Did you fix this? My 2002 with the 5.9/auto does this from time to time and it drives me nuts. Lately it's getting worse and I don't want to spend $80 for a TPS if that's not the problem. TIA

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is probably the most common issue with the D and the part is only $35-40 do more shopping around before you buy it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.