DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know where i could get a round air filter like those on the old muscle cars. i know they made them from the older dakotas cuz the air comes from the top. K&N sent me to there customs page but they were all for carbs and they didnt reply to me about fule injection. im goin for that old mopar muscle look under the hood. o ya and this guy is cool :rck:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I previously owned a '97 Dakota with the 318 engine. The throttle body on the 318/360 is the same size as a four barrel carb. I tore out the factory air box and bolted on a K&N universal 14x3" air cleaner. It gave amazing power increases, was very loud, and very cool. I'm kinda mad that I can't do the same to my new 4.7L Dakota. Here's a link for you to check out. Go to chicagolandmopar, then /techtips/durango.asp Sorry, wouldn't let me post the whole thing. Hope it helps.

Tim

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks so much

·
Registered
659 Posts
I did the same thing to my 3.9L in my 01 Ram. Got the round K&N, plus the K&N cover on top so plenty of air is getting in from all directions. Another thing I did was remove the rubber flaps up front near the radiator. I sure like mine. I've had folks tell me that our type of filters are sucking in heat from the engine, but I think they're delivering good air-flow. Best of luck to ya Alterocks! Good to see someone else with the same filter setup as me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is by far the best mod on either my mustang or my trucks. it sounds great. oh man. kika$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use the 10" x 2" Round chrome Edelbrock on my 02 3.9L. No plumbing of any kind to do, drops right on the TB. When its cold you can really hear it sucking, sounds like a bad vac. leak, but its not.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep, you're right JBRO2. It sat just right on that TBI, (5 1/8"), and you can sure hear it pulling in the air on cold mornings. I like hearing it-let's ya know it's working! I got the 14" X 2" with the K&N cover as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one running our type of filters. If your interested in headers for your 3.9L, let me save you some time. Only one company makes them - JBA. Part #1939. That's my next item on my mod list. Best of luck to ya'll!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Two words if you go this route: Hood scoop.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
oh man you have just brought back some old memories. I am reminded me of the old school air filters. Remember in the winter when you had to pop the hood, remove the wingnut holding the filter cover on and stick a screwdriver down the carb to hold the choke open just to get it to start?

Man those were the days. Those engines could be hard to start, but they ran forever.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was thinking of a cowl hood but i'm not sure yet. the only trouble i had gettin mine on the 5.9 was the pcv valve tubing, the knockout piece wasn't very easy to knock-out.. but i got the mr. gasket air cleaner, $27.00. then the 14x3 k&n filter, $45.00. i like. not sure what the next thing on my list is. eventually i want 13s at the track.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My next must have mod. will be the super chip tuner. But at +$300, the wife wants a new kitchen floor and some new living room furniture. So I might have to wait awhile. She also wants a 22' camper trailer. So I started with the hitch from e-trailer, so thats done. One step at a time you know.

·
Registered
815 Posts
After several days of thought, I must say that using the old school round air filter never occured to me; I guess the air hat and fuel injection numbed my brain plus it's been so long since I've owned a carbed engine.

I'm going to go this route; I've been wanting to put a scoop on Stinker for the past couple of years but couldn't figure a way to get the CAI to work with it. Duh. Old school and extension into the air stream. Punch the hood right and the filter will just fit through the opening. I saw a truck like mine on the web with one of these scoops on it and was impressed. Can't find the photo but see my site for my truck and these photos. :rck:

Attachments

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
I ran an open round K&N on my old 93 Dakota, it did a great job of sounding good & providing better air flow. The only down side was that the element got dirty very fast, so I found myself doing a lot of cleaning!!! I know all the info said that the flow was not compromised by it being dirty, but I felt better seeing the clean red element.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you could get the old.. hmm.. charger i think... hood scoop, i saw it somewhere... dart.... i dunno.. one of the cars had a stock ram air scoop that was raised off the hood... post some pics when your done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
k&n makes the pre-filters (its a foam cover that wraps around the filter) to keep them cleaner longer, I'm pretty sure they make them for the round filters.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Whoa kitkar, that's an idea I ain't thought of. I was going to get a whole new hood with the scoops, but those pics that you posted has me thinking that installing the type of scoop you show might be a cheaper route. Plus it would look great. All I need to find is a good paint/body shop to intall it for me. Thanks a heap for the idea!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey sparkplugs.com, thanks for the info. I'll bet I could get a foam wrap-around for my round filter from somewhere. It would be a lot easier to clean that than the whole darn filter. It'll really come in handy if I install that hood scoop that kitkar just clued me in on. By the way, I bought my NGK plugs from ya'll, and I got great service! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey kitcar, where did you find those scoops you had pictured in your posting? Can they made to be functional instead of just for looks? You sure got me thinking here friend!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
those are basic drag scoops.. i've seen them in jegs and summit.. to make them functional you would cut a hole in your hood.. then you could put a taller filter.. i think like a 14x4.. maybe 5.... and that would give you MORE surface area and it would fit through the hole you cut in the hood getting the air cooler too...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Grey Ghost said:
Hey kitcar, where did you find those scoops you had pictured in your posting? Can they made to be functional instead of just for looks? You sure got me thinking here friend!
They all have openings in them; punch the hole and they're functional. I'm looking for a local machine shop that can punch a functional and finished hole for me and at the same time remove most of the ribbing under the hood; This year I'm ditching the tailgate, bed liner and rear bumper (roll pan). My goal is sub 14 second 1/4s while looking stock. The last time I drove the truck (2003), I was doing mid 14s. Before I do NOS, I want to lose as much weight at possible. I'm also putting a bleach box in, but you didn't hear that from me. Just to impress the guys at work with some smokin' ass burnouts. :cool: :rck: Give me an LA block engine and I'll make that baby kick bootie all day long.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.