DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this truk a few months ago, put about 4,000 miles on it, has 125,000 now, the tranny always was a little rough shifting at times, sometimes it's silky smooth, but becoming more harsh as I go, and just this weeke it's started jerking when your going up a hill, and it should shift out of OD, but it jumps like it should have shifted, but doesn't do anything, and it will continue to do this a few times as you continue to loose speed, until you step it down and make it shift. It's not driven hard, not towing anything, and usually driven about 40 miles a day to school and work.

Also this week, it's started stalling/sputtering while accelerating between 2-3000 rpm, runs great below that range, and seems to run fine above that, but almost everytime it coughs and sputters in that range, and either I let off, or kick it down, then it will stop.

Any ideas for either question?

its a 2000 with the 4.7, and Idk which auto.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody got ANY ideas please, just want some options to look into before I end up taking it to a shop with no clue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When buying a used truck--are they telling truth in history

They might tell you the vehicle has only been driven from home to sunday school--Or have they ? In my opinion it is wise to spend $100 and get the truck lifted and inspected by a pro. Here in Canada the dealership rate is $85 /h. Don't be wasting $ if it's a lemon get ride rid of it to the next sucker.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive it about 40 miles a day, It's been a perfect running truck until it started acting up like it is, and I want to take it in, get checked out, and could prob use a good tune up/service, as I have no clue what if anything has ever been done to it, but $$$ is a bit short right now, and cant afford any large bills right away, but I guess it's just gonna cost more if something goes bad than if I fix it now. IDK what to do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My ans.

get the tune up,new plugs,synthetic oil,new air filter,differential oil change on both in you have a 4x4 and the list goes on.......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bout how much you think that might run, I'll do plugs an diffs myself, was plannin on those soon, but a good service to the trans an whatever else might help, will get an oil change in about 1100 miles (prolly go synthetic from now on), air filter replaced recently.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Throttle position sensor could cause hesitation, sputter, does it ever rev up and down when your just sitting there? Also a sign of TPS being bad. Speed sensor bad could be causing the rough, or non shifting problem. Bad O2s, 125k, most people dont change these, they should be replaced every 60k. If havent been replaced plan on either gutting, cutting out, or replacing the catalytic converter, bad O2s will cause this to fail sooner. The cheapest diagnostic, first go to your local parts place, ex. autozone. They will run a diagnostic free of charge. If that doesnt bring anything up and you are not very knowlegdable when it comes to the mechanical side of a vehicle, get it into a shop, don't play guessing games with things like this, more times then not it will cost you more money to fix it yourself when you have no clue where to start.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I was thinking about possibly something with the TPS, and it does sometimes rev up an down a lil' when should be running steady. It also seems to do it more when running in that rpm range while throttle is at a certain possition range.

Do you think a NAPA would run a diognostic? I'm trying to think of what stores are nearby.
Thanx for the input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've been lookin around some more, and it does sound like the TPS, and possiblythe tranny speed sensors are my culprits, I went to two local shops and neither one would be able to get me in for a few days, and both charge for diognostic. I did the little check code in the odometer thing, and all that said is P doNE, which I'm guessing means nothing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yea, well heres the thing, a bad TPS will not show a check engine code most of the time, that is why just clickin the key back and forth isnt that good. Also a check engine light will not come on for speed sensors, and even 02s sometimes, i would think NAPA would do it for free, also see if you have an Advance Auto Parts, O''riely's auto parts. Im sure any place like that will run it for free. Or if you know anyone with a superchips can do it to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked this weekend, NAPA doesn't do scans, and the tire/auto place next door to it said he charges $35 just to run the scan, and then hourly rate to diognose anything after that. I think there migt be an Advanced around here somewhere. I'm gonna try to get it somewhere this weekend if possible, keeps getting worse everyday it seems, but I've been buisy with work. Anyone know roughly what a new TPS and/or speed censor cost?, and how hard to replace?
Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the speed sensor cost around 80 bucks from a dealer, and is located in the rearend, somewhere, think, never personally messed with it, as for a TPS, id say around 50 bucks, and very simple to change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HEY! Guess what, I think i may have fixed everything tonight, but we'll find out in time. I found an autozone, and had a scan, which showed nothing, but I bought a set of plugs and talked to the guy for a while, told me a few other options of what it may be. I changed the plugs when I got home (let engine cool for about an hour), the old plugs weren't to pretty, but they had been replaced at some point I think, because they were the same Bosch Platnum plugs that I had just bought, gaps were all a little different, a few looked like they were almost fried or something, and I think the coil on the #8 cyl. may have been a bit loose, because the nut that holds the coil down was missing (luckily happened to have one lying around that fit) and it came right out like it wasnt on very tight (not like most of the other ones, one took over half our just to pull the coil). Anyway, I swapped the plugs, bolted down the coils, and put everything back together, then went for a ride. Right away I knew something was different just int he way it started, barely touched the key and bam, fired right up and idled steady as a rock. Took off down the road and I could not MAKE it miss a beat, and I do not know why, but it seemed that my tranny problems were gone as well, shifted farely smooth, didn't hesitate, and didn't kick into overdrive until it should have, idk why, but I'll take it! Have to see if it holds up through the day tommorrow, if it wasnt just a fluke tonight, but as of right now its running GREAT. I was going to make an appointment to get it in the shop asap cause it was getting worse everyday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.