DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9l v8, it has a rough idle to it. It idles good for about 5 min the it acts like it’s cutting power or chocking itself out. Last night I was sitting in a drive through and my rpms dropped to 500, and sometimes the oil pressure gage goes back and fourth. Idk if anyone can help me from all of that but please let me know if you know anything. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 94 with the same problem. I have changed the plugs, wires, aic sensor, temp coolant sensor and switch, distributor cap and rotor, oil filter, looked for air leaks. I have been looking for the fuel filter to change and just found out it is in the tank. If that does not fix it then I will be watching your post to see what else is recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9l v8, it has a rough idle to it. It idles good for about 5 min the it acts like it’s cutting power or chocking itself out. Last night I was sitting in a drive through and my rpms dropped to 500, and sometimes the oil pressure gage goes back and fourth. Idk if anyone can help me from all of that but please let me know if you know anything. Thanks
Sounds like maybe your plenum gasket has failed. Look down inside the throttle body, if there is oil or black soot in there then it has failed. Will cause rough idol, oil consumption, and loss of power. YouTube has all kinds of videos on it. Hughes performance has a nice kit to fix this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not a mechanic here but i have a '94 b250 5.2l with the same issue. changed all the things (air filter, idle control valve, map sensor, throttle position sensor, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & anchor, fuel filter, pcv valve, egr valve). also found one vacuum hose to be completely deteriorating and replaced it. last thing i am going to replace now is the check valve and if that will not fix the issue then i will have to take it in. i also have the AC switching to defrost at around 60mph which is usually some kind of a vacuum line issue. any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plenum gasket

1 - 5 of 5 Posts