DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first thread here, I'm looking for some help.

I have a Dodge Caravan 1992 with a SOHC Engine V6 3.0L 6G72, automatic. This engine has new head gaskets, valve seals and oil retainers. Installed new fuel pump and fuel filter. Now here's the problem:

During a trip to another city in my country (around 70 miles). I was climbing a hill in 2nd gear, engine was doing good, then when i reached the top, the engine suddenly started to sound weird, like engine misfire. I pulled over a gas station and the engine was shaking hard. At first i thought i was a cable of one of the spark plugs because it was loose. After that i noticed there was a fuel smell coming from the engine. When the engine is hot, it stalls and it is hard to start up, take about 6-7 seconds with the gas pedal to the end.

I searched at Google, and found that maybe is the fuel pressure regulator that is busted. I proceeded to test the FPR but there was not leaking fuel from the vacuum hose. Few days later with the van at home. i noticed that oil had a strong fuel smell on it, another symptom of the FPR.

I'm about to order a new FPR, but I'm not sure if thats the cause of the engine shaking hard. I also suspect of the ignition coil or some busted sensor, still i have no CEL Code.

Any advices? :help:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Late reply but....

Did you ever test the fuel pressure?

What was the outcome to this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Late Reply,

The culprit was a broken camshaft. It caused a huge loss of compression on cylinders 4 & 6, so the engine was running very poorly.

After replacing the camshaft, engine started up very smoothly. However, the air plenum gasket got damaged and I had no replacement so I decided to put megagrey sealant on it. Now it turns that engine will die at idle. It runs fine if you keep the gas pedal slightly pressed to keep the engine rpm above the idle and prevent engine stalling.

Now I don't know what can cause the engine stall.

Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Than you for the update. Very valuable information.

Vacuum leaks can cause stalling problems. Maybe you still have a leak where the megagray was used? I sometimes spray starting fluid around suspected vacuum leaks because if it sucks in the starting fluid there will be a noticeable rise in the rpms momentarily.

However, some will tell you not to do this as it is not safe. I have done it for decades and never had a problem. I think you just have to use common sense.

Another thing that can cause the issue you describe is if the timing was not properly indexed when the cam was installed. ie.... if it is off by a tooth.
But that should make the engine feel slightly sluggish.

In all honesty, I have not yet rebuilt a 3.0L engine. Only the 3.3L So I'm not as familiar with the 3.0 as the 3.3 and 3.8's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts