DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Grand caravan, 143,000 miles, 3.8 L.
Been running great, aside from a few minor leaks and rattles. Been trying to get this to last until 200,000, jsut because I've never had a vehicle last that long.
This is a daily commuter, seeing 10-20 miles a day of use, Monday through friday.

Ran great yesterday, today, it barely started, idled rough, ran rough. Checked oil, a little low (I think I need a new pan gasket for a very slow dribble). Topped off, still running rough, particularly between 1000 and 2000 rpm.

Hooked up my bluetooth to smartphone OBD II reader. Got a #2 and #3 misfire (it sporadically shows the #3 misfire for the past few years, after the last plug change, but has never run weird).

OBDII didn't show any volts--normally reads 13-something.

I've had this van since 2009, and have had to change the alternator three times. I'm thinking it's time for another alternator, which might explain the no volts showing on OBDII and the rough idle/run.

Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Alternators don't cause misfires. Take the van to a competent shop that can diagnose the misfire codes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on the plugs and coil packs?
Plugs have less than 20K on them.
Coil pack could be the original. Not sure, got this van as second owner in 2009.
Gonna change the coil out tonight. Fingers crossed that solves it, but if it doesn't, seems to me the coil is overdue, anyways.

·
Registered
777 Posts
FYI removing the power steering reservoir is a royal pain in the arse.
Not so much once you know where that one nut is at under the reservoir. A ¼ drive ratchet with a 3-4" extension between the socket and ratchet is all you need. It's been a long time for me, so I can't remember if that nut is an 8, 10, or a 13 mm nut. But it doesn't even have to come all the way off. You insert the socket and extension straight from behind and underneath the reservoir. Loosen it up two turns and remove the other two obvious screws on top and it's off in no time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes a bad alternator an cause running issues. A bad alternator won't keep battery at full charge. This low voltage can effect how well the electronic ignition performs. Have experienced it on many vehicles..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts