DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with recently I changed the oil on my 4.7 which was purchased about two months ago. The oil was black, at the same time I threw a new Fram filter in there.

Last night going to Olive Garden, when I got ready to leave, the truck tried to turn over, but wouldn't start. Tried again, it was a hard start, but eventually cranked over. The truck is idling a little rough, almost sounds as if it has a cam in the truck. Came home last night, checked the fluid levels, everything is all good. I had put a cheap locking gas cap on when I bought the truck, thinking this was the problem, I put the OEM cap back on. Drove around, CEL still on, but still idling rough.

Woke up this a.m., went to start the truck and the CEL is gone, which I was going to take to have scanned this morning. However, the truck seems to still have a slight hesitation in it when throttling.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? I've done nearly everything I can think of now as far as maintenance besides one thing, spark plugs, which I intend to do this weekend.

Changed oil 6 qts. (synthetic mobile 1 5w/20)
Mopar Oil Filter
Transmission Fluid and Filters
Air Filter
And a bunch of front end suspension parts

Now I'm trying to narrow the problem down to either the spark plugs that still need to be changed or if I was having major issues from the cheap locking gas cap?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
The throttle body on this trucks get down right nasty. You need to get in there and clean it every six months to a year. Kinda a judgement call on how many miles you drive. The second thing is these trucks have to have a good strong battery. I'd start there and then move-on to the maintenance items.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The throttle body on this trucks get down right nasty. You need to get in there and clean it every six months to a year. Kinda a judgement call on how many miles you drive. The second thing is these trucks have to have a good strong battery. I'd start there and then move-on to the maintenance items.

Thank you very much for sharing that information. It seems like I had read something about the Throttle Body on the 4.7's a while back. You just refreshed it and brought it back to my attention. Will be going ahead and doing that this weekend. Do you recommend any kind of special cleaner for our throttle bodies being that our trucks can be sensitive from time to time?

Also, I drove it all day today with the Factory OEM Gas Cap back on there, and believe it or not, CEL hasn't been back on, sputtering and rough idle went away completely, and no hesitation. It's hard to think something so small can cause the truck to run so poorly, but I'm almost positive that solved my problem. It did the same thing when I first put the cap on, with rough idol, but never threw a code until yesterday. Both times I put the OEM Gas cap back on, the truck seemed to run normal again.

I will be doing that throttle body and the plugs this weekend! Thanks again for tipping me off on that!

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
The gas cap cause problems on my truck and it wasn't until I put the OEM back on before it ran right.

For clean the TB, you need to use brake cleaner... only.

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.