DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was informed that this would be the best place to post this.

i have a 2000 Ram 3500 Cummins that when i fill the fuel tank it will overflow and pour onto the ground. the only possibility i can see is the outlet nipple of the rollover valve is not connected to anything. should this nipple be plugged or is there a hose I am not finding that should be connected to it?

thanks for any input i can get i don't want to try to fill it again and find the leak that way due to the hazard issues.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That is a fuel tank vent and it should be open but not leak fuel.
Be sure the fuel filler line and filler line vent are not leaky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked both of those lines and they are good. and hose clamps are tight. the only time it does it is when i over fill the tank

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It may be coming out of the vent or maybe the o-ring sealing the fuel tank module. Maybe a leaky roll over valve as you mentioned.
When I replaced the fuel level float, I removed the 2 drivers side bed bolts and really loosened up the passenger side bolts, removed the little bolts to the fuel filler then jacked up the driver's side of the bed to access the fuel tank....much easier than dropping the tank imo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. i will check the rubber ring tomorrow. lifting the bed however is not an option due to the fifth wheel mountings. looks like i will be dropping the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the tank today and was glad the truck sits up high. It was not hard at all. used wench straps connected to the frame and slung under each end to cradle the tank. loosened both tank straps and removed them, Then lowered the tank enough to get to the fittings on the fuel module. getting the fuel and return lines off was a little tricky due to the squeeze connectors but not too bad. Once i loosened the fittings on the filler and vent tubes I could lower the tank slowly and get it on the ground. with the truck sitting high enough to allow the tank to slide out the side i was in great shape.
the leak appears to have been coming from the module gasket. the ring was loose enough that i was able to remove it by hand. After removing the ring and cleaning all connecting surfaces i was able to tighten the ring up good with a spanner tool i made. I reinstalled the tank and filled it. end result was no leak..
thanks for the pointers guys.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Never have liked hard to find fuel leaks.... that is if you ever have good fuel leak! Glad it wasn't a hard fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.