DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my 1.7 rr's on my V10. I have to get longer push rods so right now I currently have the left valve cover off (not fun on a V10). Once I get new push rods can I install the rockers on just one side of the engine then drive it with it half way done? Or would that do something bad to the engine?
Only reason I ask is when I do the right side of the engine the intake manifold has to come off to remove the valve cover. If I don't get them adjusted right I would have to remove the manifold twice and replace the gasket twice. Not something I want to do.
Thanks.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
You would have one side of the motor producing more power (more downforce) on the rotating assembly. I doubt it would idle very well as 1/2 the valves are opening further longer, and the other 1/2 aren't.
I wouldn't do it.
And if you don't have the time / resources to do the mod correctly wait until you do before starting.

If I don't get them adjusted right I would have to remove the manifold twice and replace the gasket twice. Not something I want to do.
what is there to adjust? Did you purchase HS roller rockers or another brand? I didn't know they made adjustable roller rockers for out motors, but even if they did why would you want them? With a hydraulic lifter setup, there usually isn't a need for them as the lifters take up the minute amount of slack that would need to be adjusted out.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Ya, Crower makes adjustable rockers. Viper rockers are also adjustable. Reason the HS rockers are not is because they are shaft mounted as a pair. HS also makes adjustable ones too, but I agree, why would you want to with the non adjustables being so easy, and usually less expensive too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i wouldn't run the motor at all with half 1.7 ratio and i don't know for sure but i would think the V10 uses 1.6 ratio just like the V8? but if thats so i would just do both sides before driving the truck. why do you need longer push rods? you would need shorter lifters or smaller cam duration i think to have longer push rods. this would not let your valves close all the way. (not sure)

~Zack

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have crower. The reason I have those is because they are the only ones made for the V10 engine. I contacted HS and they told me that they do not make any rockers for the V10 only the V8.
The standard ratio for the rockers is 1.6 The ones I have are 1.7. Crower told me that since I have a higher ratio than stock I will need longer push rods. Other wise I will hear the lifters all the time. I don't know too much about engines mostly electrical and diagnosis so I was just taking there word for it.
Thanks for the info on the install. I will wait until I get the rest of my parts.

·
Crew Chief
37 Posts
I'd advise not following the rocker manufacturer's recommended valve lash adjustment procedure - we did that and ended up staying at the shop til 10pm to R&R the valve covers (PITA on the 8 liter) and adjust them the same way we do in the pits... by feel. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.