Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off...

Hello everyone!
My name is Mike from California...

My vehicle:

2006 Dodge Durango Limited Edition 5.7l Hemi 2WD

We just bought this vehicle used not even a year ago. Unfortunately, my wife ignored my instructions to have the oil changed at a local lube & tune. I usually handle these things, but, between her work schedule and mine (She works nights and weekends I work days), rebuilding my own car and the holidays, I just couldn't find the time.

So the oil did get a bit thin. I hooked it up to my OBDII reader and got a code telling of wrong oil viscosity.

The truck started rattling on the way home from her job one morning. She immediately pulled it over and turned off the truck. I drove to where she was and we had it towed home.

I changed the oil right away, but, it was still knocking once it reached about 1500 RPM.

It is not extremely loud, but, knowing as much as I do about engines, I know this is the rods. HOWEVER!! I do NOT know much about Hemis.

It is knocking distinctly from the passenger side of the engine and just a slight tick on the driver side.

What I am posing to you all here is this.

I plan to do the engine work myself. I am not about to take this truck into Dodge and have them tell me that I need to replace the engine, have them charge me $4000.00 (estimate) for an engine and then charge me parts and labor when all it needs is the push rods replaced, gaskets replaced and a good spanking!

I would like to know if I should replace the lifters as well. .... and if there is anything else I should be aware of.

This will be a total replacement with new parts on both sides. Intake and exhaust rods and lifters, if needed. I also plan on checking the valves as well. If they need replacing, so be it.

It is not leaking... no holes in the block. It did not overheat. There is no water in the oil or vice-versa. The plugs look good and it starts up and idles with out struggling or rattling (knocking). it only gives that diesel-like sound when accelerating.

It will even drive off down the road, if I were so inclined....which I am not.

Any (sensible) advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

Ok. Going to do this today.
I have my ALLData program to help guide me, so, I should be fine..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mike:
Any updates on this? Of course, there is a huge difference between lifter pushrods and the rods that connect the pistons to the crank.
Lifter pushrods don't usually knock. It would be more of a tap or rattle. Rod bearings or crank bearings knock, and would probably be more affected by the low oil.

Here's hoping that you found the issue to be less expensive than it may end being.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
mike:
Any updates on this? Of course, there is a huge difference between lifter pushrods and the rods that connect the pistons to the crank.
Lifter pushrods don't usually knock. It would be more of a tap or rattle. Rod bearings or crank bearings knock, and would probably be more affected by the low oil.

Here's hoping that you found the issue to be less expensive than it may end being.

Don
make certain you use the recommened light viscosity oil, the knocking is not rods etc, it is the multi displacement system ( lifters), the will not work correctly with heavy oils oil additives. Run some seafoan in it at the same time and the knock will disappear. I had the exact same issue and almost cried, run the correct oil for awhile and it will clear itself up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NOT RODS!!! read***

It is imperative you only use the recommended thin viscosity oil and NO additives which increase viscosity!! Change your oil, add a bottle of Seafoam and drive it, it WILL stop knocking. The knocking sounds just like a rod knock but is actually lifters associated with the Multi-displacement system. This sounds too good to be true but I promise you it is what is happening.

please post the final outcome here so others will know, Many Dodge mechanics do not even know (good ones do).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.