DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install some LEDs in my cupholders and storage bin and I purchased a rocker switch to turn them on and off.

Does anyone know what size hole and drill bit you need to install a standard rocker switch?

Also is this the correct wiring scheme for the rocker switch:

1. Gold Pin - Ground
2. Middle Pin - Power (from 12v source)
3. Third Pin - Acc (to leds, light bar, fogs... etc)

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you have the packaging for the switch then it should give you this information. If not, then I would just hold up a drill bit to the part of the switch that needs to go through the dash etc, and then find one that is just a little bit bigger than the switch.

As far as the wiring scheme goes, most switches for 12V do not have a ground pole, unless the switch itself is lighted(meaning the switch lights up when you turn it on). If so, then one is ground, one is 12V power, the last one is 12V powered(meaning on or off depending on the position of the switch).

If the switch is not lighted, then you probably have a double throw switch, meaning one input, two outputs... Does the switch have two positions, meaning on/off, or does it have three, up/middle/down?

If you have a lighted switch, then what you can do is hook a multimeter up to two of the posts and see if the circuit is closed when you flip the switch. Once you find out which ones close the circuit, just run 12V to one of them, and your lights to the other one because all you have to do to make your lights turn on is to close the circuit, which is the purpose of a switch.
If you get the two posts backwards, then your switch will stay lighted all the time, in which case you just swap the wires on the two posts that close the circuit.

But, then again, if you have the packaging, it should tell you all of this.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a lighted rocker switch. Ended up finding a link through google and found out the size hole was 3/4". I went out and bought a 3/4" hole saw bit and it did the job.

Thanks for the info on the wiring also!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
so, is it wired yet?

Throw some pictures up when you get a chance.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got some pictures of the switches mounted, but haven't had a chance to wire up the parts yet. I'm putting some LEDs in the front and rear cupholders as well as underdash/floorboard lights (which haven't arrived yet)...

·
Registered
70 Posts
where are you going to put the floorboard lights? Just up front under the dash, or under the front seats too?

I would be interested to see how it looks when done.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where are you going to put the floorboard lights? Just up front under the dash, or under the front seats too?

I would be interested to see how it looks when done.
Both... putting a two cathodes up front under the dash to light up the driver and passenger. One cathode under each of the front seats to light up the floor in the rear row.

Here's the thread where I got the idea: click here..................

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you put the switch in the same place as Durango05? My D has the ESP button there, but it looks nice on Durango05.

What color are you going with for the cathodes?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you put the switch in the same place as Durango05? My D has the ESP button there, but it looks nice on Durango05.

What color are you going with for the cathodes?
I bought blue LEDs for the cup holders and four 12" blue cathodes (each kit on Vibelights.com comes with two cathodes). I bought the cathodes from the same place as Durango005. The only issue is they haven't come yet and I ordered them 2 weeks ago. I may cancel the order on the credit card if they don't come by the end of this week since they have failed to respond to my email as well.

I would suggest buying any light mod hardware from this site: http://www.oznium.com/ . I know several people have bought from this site. Probably where I would order from if I need to get anything in the future.

I mounted the switches where there is a button on some durango trims for adjustable power pedals. My durango does not have power adjustable pedals so I was able to mount my switches there. I have three switches mounted there. One for my custom DVD System, one for leds, and one for floorboard lights.

Hope this helps... :tup:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a picture of the switches mounted. The blue switch was already mounted when I purchased the Durango and I just added the other two switches. They're off centered, but I don't mind. The two new switches were very hard to find as I wanted the new wants to match the old one.

Blue Switch - Custom Rear DVD System
Green Switch - Floorboard/Underdash Lights *Not yet installed*
Red Switch - Cup holder & Storage Bin LEDs *Not yet installed*

·
Registered
70 Posts
That looks nice. I like the colors.

what kind of rear DVD system do you have? I am thinking about putting one in my D. I have a 4 year old and another one on the way. The D is our travel car since it holds more stuff than my wife's Xterra does.

Can you send me a picture of it and any details you have?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in all things electronic...

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure what brand is it. I unmounted it and could not find any company/brand on it. The screen is mounted on the ceiling and the actual dvd player is installed above the rear cup holders and mounted in the center console.

Personally, I would suggest getting TVs in the headrests. It's very hard to drive with the screen down and you can't utilize the rear view mirror :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good point. How big is the screen if it blocks your rear view mirror?

I was thinking of getting an all in one unit and mounting it to the headliner, but if even a 7" screen will block that much, then I might just get the ones for the headrests.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point. How big is the screen if it blocks your rear view mirror?

I was thinking of getting an all in one unit and mounting it to the headliner, but if even a 7" screen will block that much, then I might just get the ones for the headrests.
I have a 7" in my Durango... We have a Ford Expedition with a 9" VES and both screens block your rear view. I would definately go with the TVs in the headrests.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so, did you ever get the cathodes installed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
What sub setup did you go with? I used to have a big old car that I filled with speakers and amps. I had about 3,000 watts total across 5 amps and 10 speakers.

One thing I liked about it was that I could play it as loud as I wanted to and no distortion. I like loud music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.