DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any companies that are offering some decent rock sliders for a 2500? I need some rocker protection before I bash the darn things in... and it'd also be nice to have something that sticks out far enough to act as a step as well. Kinda wish i could just make some up.... seeing as my welder is oh... a 1000 miles away... it'll probably just be easier to buy a set.

If you someone has a set on their truck, post up some pics! I'd be interested expecially in seeing how they mount to the frame!

Thanks guys!

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Mopar makes them for the Power Wangon, I think they will work on any 2500, they call them "Rock Rails"

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya... Ive seen those nerf bars. Im looking for something more like 2"x6"x0.187" wall tube for a main rail... something that a person can step on as well as protect the vehicle

· Registered
1,624 Posts
have you seen them in person?? i personally have not found anything stonger than a power wagon rock rail for 2500 ram that will serve a purpose of protecting and stepping on..theyre not even close to being just a side step..it takes 2-3 guys just to pick up the box from mopar plus another couple to help mount them..those rails are very very strong...im sure you can find someone that will make a set but for the money it will be hard to beat

· Registered
10,350 Posts
If you know how to fab work you could use the N-Fab bars and brace them up better after the install and maybe cut the steps down some for more clearance.

here is a look at some un-modified bars.I see lots of ways to brace them up better for serious rock crawling so little damage occurs to the bars or body,that is if you can do modifications yourself.

By the way these come up for sale every so often and can be gotten cheaply.

just an idea,of course.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
strtlegal said:
have you seen them in person?? i personally have not found anything stonger than a power wagon rock rail for 2500 ram that will serve a purpose of protecting and stepping on..theyre not even close to being just a side step..it takes 2-3 guys just to pick up the box from mopar plus another couple to help mount them..those rails are very very strong...im sure you can find someone that will make a set but for the money it will be hard to beat
hmm.... from the pics i saw of them.... they looked pretty tucked up and in. Didnt look like you could step on them. Does anyone have some better pics of them?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
The 2500 is very heavy, the Mopar rock rails are strong enough to hold the weight of the entire truck, they where design to do that by the engineers at Dodge. I spent a long time looking for a set aftermarket rock-sliders for the 2500 and everything out-there was fairly light-weight and designed to be used as a step only. If you want to have something made go for it, just make sure they guaranty (in writing) it will hold the weight of the whole truck.

· 2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,028 Posts
The Mopar rock rails cannot be used as steps, they mount too close.

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
Did you ever find a buyer for yours jmbones? I wish I had the money when you offered them/ Still don't. Saving up for our Hawaii trip end of the year.

2,028 Posts
Not yet. packraftnm is interested tho.

ldgregory said:
Did you ever find a buyer for yours jmbones? I wish I had the money when you offered them/ Still don't. Saving up for our Hawaii trip end of the year.

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
Cool. I knew he was wanting to get some soon, I even promised to help him install (I know, shoot me). Maybe it'll work out for both of you.

· Registered
1,624 Posts
Drunk tank said:
hmm.... from the pics i saw of them.... they looked pretty tucked up and in. Didnt look like you could step on them. Does anyone have some better pics of them?
yep your right i was thinking that you could partially step on them, but i do remember them being tucked like a rock rail should be...im sure if you look up a power wagon on edmund's.com theyll have a decent shot of them, i would look at one with the door open

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
strtlegal said:
yep your right i was thinking that you could partially step on them, but i do remember them being tucked like a rock rail should be...im sure if you look up a power wagon on edmund's.com theyll have a decent shot of them, i would look at one with the door open
Like they should be? I'm pretty certain that the reason the power wagon sliders are tucked is for looks. They provide protection without a doubt but even more protection is provided when they extend out just further than the door skin. When your tire slides off a rock, misses the slider and nails the door skin you will instantly want sliders that extend out just a bit. For mine we laid a plumb bob on the door skin and measured out at the frame to the string. The sliders go just a bit further than that.
Basically, if you plan on really getting in it, they should extend out.

My two cents.

· Registered
1,624 Posts
ive seen both, some that have small tubes which are common on a xj,zj that run along just the rocker and the ones that extend out more like a rocker slider which are normally more common with on tj's mainly because they are a narrower and are a pita to get in and out of...your probably right about the looks of the rocker rails on power wagon if they came with ones that extended out they probably wouldnt sell..plus its in that hieght area that you kind of dont need a step so its just one more thing you would have to step over..they probably not banking on alot of people sliding into rocks that would have potential to hit the doors..almost like a trade off or a happy medium

· Registered
178 Posts
2" x 6" is heavy overkill, I like that! But would probably opt for a weight to strength thing, the truck is heavy enough as is.

Wilson's Off Road Fabrication[in Texas(added as there is a similar name down east)] makes rockrails for the big ram, off the shelf[2x3 or 2x4, can't remember] and will add beef if desired, or so I have been told. Theirs has a tuberail added for more protection and stepping, might be a big step up as they sit high. I will try and hunt down the number tomorrow if you want it.

The Dodge ones are big but saying the box needs many people to move is pushing it[it's shoulderable]. I do know holding them in place while they get marked is a PAIN, especially with someone unsure and questioning on chalk duties.

2,028 Posts
The Mopar rock rails are 77lbs/ea.

· Registered
356 Posts
ce2flaco. Did you make those rails. I like them. How much would a pair run a guy? Also do you have any pics of underneath. How they mount.
thanks
josh

· Registered
10,350 Posts
ce2flaco,
I really like your bars as well,and think you did a fine job with them.
it was kind of what I was getting at if you had already or found some N-fab bars,you could do some fab work and make your own for cheap and have exactly what you want,or just start from scratch and feel great knowing you made them yourself. Plus I just wanted to show a pic of my truck you know.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.