DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im making a new thread caus i dont want the responses to get burried in the other thread.
So after my efforts of geting some factory rails didnt work out ( no hard feelings by the way) i started to look into some other options , so i went down to Triple X Traction (local fab shop) and was talking to the owner Toby about some rock sliders for the PW based on the toyota Allpro sliders and he said that for un mounted sliders would be about 350-500$ which to me is a good deal .

SO MY QUESTION is what do yall think about welding to the frame , now i know that these frames are suposedly hydro formed out of super steel and welding on them can suposedly weeken it but wouldnt drilling a bunch holes do basicly the same thing ? sofar welding them on seems to be the easiest and IMO the cleanest method , so what yall think , Pro's , Con's etc.........?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I dont know of one reported problem to come from welding sliders to a frame.
I hope to be welding mine on soon.

hth
ken

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It would take a very very experienced welder to weld to the hardened frame. someone who knows exactly how much heat can be applied before it would start to weaken the structure of the steel. Drilling holes does not weaken the frame as you would think. Your best bet is to bolt on the rails vs weld cause any welder that good charges way more than the rockrails are worth. Also it becomes a DOT concern. If there has been welding to the frame and somehow an accident occurs that welder is liable if there is any chance his welding may have been a factor and believe me the insurance companies will do whatever possible to make it hurt. If you do get it welded i suggest no names and cash only.

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
It takes an average welder at best to weld to the frame. Mine is welded from end to end. Some of the welds are mine...and i suck compared to alot of people. I have had the truck sitting on and stuck on the rails more than a few times with no failures.

Everyone seems to have a clear "OPINION" on this subject for some reason. Many of those people have never actually welded to a late model Dodge frame. I'm sure if Dodge had their way, no one would modify these trucks at all but most of us do what we feel regardless.

That being said, i bolted mine on in order to have the ability to easily remove them in the future and repair/replace them. This will become an issue at some point if you actually use the rails for the intended purpose.

That's just me though.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
I've had mine welded on forever ago by an experienced welder who owed us a favor. I have a wire feed welder I do little jobs with, so I can't speak to how easy or hard welding them on are, nor to the issues of hydroformed frames and welding things on them.

All I can say is that mine are stout as hell. Most of you all have seen my videos and pics of wheeling. I land on and use them to pivot all the time. Mine have soaked up some serious hits and I've not had any problems.

As for taking them off later. I figured I'd never be taking mine off anyway, so what did it matter.

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
I will most likely be putting a 1" tac welds on each of the corners to prevent vibration of the hardware, and also to add a little more support. Also by doing the tac welds, you have the ability to remove the rails in the future, if your careful when cutting the welds off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Weld it... just [email protected]#$in weld it man

:loud:Weld it and forget about it! Welding causes localized changes in the metal, so what! The frame has things welded on it from the factory! Do have a competent welder do the work. I did! Mine are custom. I'm a Mechanical Designer, I know what i'm talking about. We have armor steel welded... not that big a deal! Key is get a gooooood welder! IF yer really worried then ask to see his welding certifications. If he doesn't have them... then find another.:gr_patrio:rck:

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
:loud:Weld it and forget about it! Welding causes localized changes in the metal, so what! The frame has things welded on it from the factory! Do have a competent welder do the work. I did! Mine are custom. I'm a Mechanical Designer, I know what i'm talking about. We have armor steel welded... not that big a deal! Key is get a gooooood welder! IF yer really worried then ask to see his welding certifications. If he doesn't have them... then find another.:gr_patrio:rck:
COME on now, I think my welder is more than experienced

·
Registered
101 Posts
Weldin Baby!

"Ya might be a ******* if..." :thatfunny great picture!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did some rails for my dads wrangler a few years back. We welded those on... if I remeber correctly it was a unibody too. Anyway, years of hard service and not a single issue.

I am going to be doing some for my 1500 here pretty soon... I'll be welding them to the frame.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i think im probably gona weld them on , im a prity confident in my welds (been fabing and welding for 16 years) and i have fabed and welded many parts on my jeep i.e. trackbar brackets and such and they have held up with no problems , now i just got to go get the sliders made!

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
"Ya might be a ******* if..." :thatfunny great picture!
Well I can always get one of the other guys to do the work if your not sold on his experience, which ever you want. I have always warned Muhammad about the mask, thought it might be to thin, and that he really needs to add a few more layers, just in case.

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
FWIW, check out this guy's experience welding his sliders. He remarked about the metal to metal contact and corrosion that got between the metal from the stock frame holes. I don't know if this will be a factor or not with the ram frames and where the gussets mount.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sliders/

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
Well I can always get one of the other guys to do the work if your not sold on his experience, which ever you want. I have always warned Muhammad about the mask, thought it might be to thin, and that he really needs to add a few more layers, just in case.

I think using camera film may be better. :D

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
I think using camera film may be better. :D
Yea, I finally talked him into using his shoes. He never understood why he would feel a jolt when he held something down with his feet, lol.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
He remarked about the metal to metal contact and corrosion that got between the metal from the stock frame holes.
To make a good weld you need to grind off all paint, dirt, rust, etc. and expose bare metal. That bare metal will still be bare behind the welds, even if you paint after welding. The solution is to shoot everything with a weld-through primer, such as Dan-Prime (available at auto paint suppliers). After you dress the welds, shoot with a red oxide primer, then finish paint of your choice. If the mounting plates are flexing under load, the primer will wear off and the rust will occur. If you drill your frame for mounting bolts, shoot the holes with primer or paint before mounting anything. Good idea to shoot primer/paint through the holes and into the frame channels so that the insides of the bolt holes are protected.

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
Yea, I finally talked him into using his shoes. He never understood why he would feel a jolt when he held something down with his feet, lol.
:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
To make a good weld you need to grind off all paint, dirt, rust, etc. and expose bare metal. That bare metal will still be bare behind the welds, even if you paint after welding. The solution is to shoot everything with a weld-through primer, such as Dan-Prime (available at auto paint suppliers). After you dress the welds, shoot with a red oxide primer, then finish paint of your choice. If the mounting plates are flexing under load, the primer will wear off and the rust will occur. If you drill your frame for mounting bolts, shoot the holes with primer or paint before mounting anything. Good idea to shoot primer/paint through the holes and into the frame channels so that the insides of the bolt holes are protected.
I won't be welding them on (or have them welded, since I don't weld), but I was definitely going to get something for the holes, but I forget what it was called, and use a round flared brush to go into the holes so it will coat the inside of them. If it's red-oxide paint, I'll get that. :)

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts